Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Mother gets life for heroin death

A mother convicted of murdering her disabled son by injecting him with heroin at a Hertfordshire care home has been jailed for life.

Frances Inglis, 57, of Dagenham, Essex, denied murdering Thomas Inglis, 22, on 21 November 2008 and an earlier attempt to kill him on 4 September 2007.

But a jury at the Old Bailey found her guilty of both charges. She must serve a minimum of nine years.

Mr Inglis suffered brain damage when he fell out of an ambulance in July 2007.

The jury reached their verdicts by a majority of 10 to two after deliberating for more than six hours.
Read the rest here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8470572.stm

While I can see how she may have felt - I think if the doctors thought he had a realistic chance of recovery it was the wrong thing to do.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Re: Mother gets life for heroin death

It is a terrible tragedy, maybe the mother wasn't in her right mind. I can't imagine what she must have been going through.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 09:47 PM

I`m amazed the defence wasn`t `not in her right mind ` tbh. What was sad was that her family afterwards said she was doing the best for her son. I wonder if they`d have thought the same if it had been a son putting his mother `out of her misery`? I think the verdict was right.
It`s one thing to allow a sane adult to choose suicide rather than a lingering death - it`s quite another to go round bumping off people because they`ve had an accident.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 10:00 PM

I can well imagine the torment this poor woman may have gone through, but I recently saw the other side of the coin.

A neighbours grandson was knocked from his bicycle in early December and suffered severe head injuries. My neighbour came one day to tell me that they were planning to turn off the life support machine the next day, needless to say the poor man was distraught. I saw him the following day and he said that the machine had not been turned off, because the lad had shown movement in one hand.

To cut a long story short, the miracle happened, the lad regained consciousness and a couple of weeks ago was here visiting his grandparents and playing snowballs outside! He is still paralysed down one side, but this will recover and last week he went back to school. A miracle indeed for a child for whom the doctors thought there was no hope. I thought today when hearing of this case, how terrible it would have been had his mother had the same reaction as the sad woman convicted.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 10:11 PM

I think it's just tragic and for a mother to do this I think she must have thought be it right or wrong (I am not qualified to place judgement ) that this was the right thing to do all I can say is I don't think she deserved a life sentence I think she needed help more than anything else ...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 10:30 PM

I think it's very tragic ...... a mother's love for her child is extremely strong. It's only if you were in that position yourself that you could fully understand what torment she was going through and the reasons that led to this tragedy.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 10:36 PM

Well said Mags
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Have to agree with you Mags. Very tragic, and I don't think anyone could say with complete honesty how they would have been affected faced with such a situation......
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I think it's very tragic ...... a mother's love for her child is extremely strong. It's only if you were in that position yourself that you could fully understand what torment she was going through and the reasons that led to this tragedy.
Think Mags has put it perfectly, if it was one of your loved one, what would you do???
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 01:34 PM

It always makes me think we have double standards on the one hand a human being has to suffer until their last feeble gasp but a pet can be "put down" to prevent suffering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top