Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 11:12 AM

A Good Business?

Forget drugs - the money is in fags now ...

HMRC officers uncover tobacco processing plant

The first raw tobacco processing plant ever to be discovered in Northern Ireland has been raided by customs officers.

Five people, three of them foreign nationals, were arrested in counties Tyrone and Down.

Twelve tonnes of raw tobacco, two million cigarettes and £50,000 was also seized during the operation on Tuesday.
Makes sense to me with the price of tobacco now.

Anyone up forrit?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 01:18 PM

Re: A Good Business?

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Forget drugs - the money is in fags now ...

HMRC officers uncover tobacco processing plant

Makes sense to me with the price of tobacco now.

Anyone up forrit?
There has been a black market in tobacco here for several years they call it 'chop chop'. Tobacco grows here and used to be a big industry but largely replaced by tea and coffee. The other thing is the different taxes applied in different states makes it worth worth smuggling from one state to another.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Re: A Good Business?

A great business. Most people buy their tobacco on the black market now, the government have shot the goose that laid the golden egg, why should people pay 22 euros for 25grms of tobacco when they can get it for 11 euros off the dealers who still make a good profit when you consider they buy it legally in Spain for 5 euros, of course there’s big money in tobacco smuggling and more and more are getting into it in these hard times, I said that years ago, 5 euro in a shop in Spain and 22 euros for the same thing here? and we are all in it together? who are they kidding. They have no one to blame but themselves for continually making tobacco carry the blame and the taxes for all the ills of the health service.
I believe you are allowed grow your own tobacco if it’s for your own consumption, that’s bloody marvellous, imaging trying to grow tobacco in this climate.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top