Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 07:13 PM

1st 2015 Energy Bill

When I did the meter readings for this month I realised the bill could be slightly higher because it's been so cold and our 1926-built house isn't very efficient, but there's nothing more we can do about it as loft insulation and updating the double glazing was all we could actually do.

We got the statement from OVO this morning and it's only £4 more than last month, £102 for Dual Fuel which isn't too bad.

One thing that does annoy me though, and TV News goes rabbiting on about it all the time; OVO cut their Gas price about three weeks ago but if you are on a fixed contract, and I think the vast majority these days do opt for that, you don't get the new price obviously.

The Fixed Gas & Electricity prices were better and we got an online discount of £60 per year before we signed-up again so I worked out what we could have paid on a variable OVO contract - it's almost exactly the same in our case and I've used actual Kilowatt-hours to work it out - but there's no £5 per month "online discount"!

I can't be bothered comparing other providers but I think that if I did it'd probably work out the same.

Bit worried about February's Statement if this cold weather continues. stevmk2
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Re: 1st 2015 Energy Bill

I changed to Ovo about six months ago Steve and I'm on the fixed contract too, I don't think any of us expected fuel prices to come down. What I get fed up of is having to go outside to read the meters every month. I suppose its good in a way because it keeps track of how much energy we're using on a monthly basis, but we've always sent readings in quarterly with other energy companies and I prefer that.

Its been on the news tonight that the comparison sites don't necessarily give the cheapest for your needs. Rather depends on the commission they get!!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I changed to Ovo about six months ago Steve and I'm on the fixed contract too, I don't think any of us expected fuel prices to come down.
Its been on the news tonight that the comparison sites don't necessarily give the cheapest for your needs. Rather depends on the commission they get!!
I've always been amazed that people almost religiously go on comparison sites for everything without actually having any real proof that they are giving you good info or leaning towards certain companies because of secret agreements, which is what many of them do.

Try running two comparison sites with identical data and seeing what you get - it's not always the same and, by rights, if it's kosher, it should be shouldn't it?! stevmk2
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 03:58 PM

I tried looking at alternative companies but it made my head hurt too much.

What I need is somebody to sort it out for me ... maths is NOT my forte

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top