Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:20 PM

Sleep tight (how the saying started)

I did visit Shakespeare country a few years back and discovered how the saying "sleep tight" came about.

Way back beds did not have a mattress as they had not even been thought of, and when decided to stay at an Inn for example the bed frame was wood and one slept on ropes strung across the frame underneath.
If a person wanted a good nights sleep they would ask the landlord to tighten the ropes to make it more comfortable.

So this is the origin of the expression "sleep tight" if you didn't already know
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:24 PM

Re: Sleep tight (how the saying started)

Good one RS. I didn't know that. I love to hear all these facts!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:25 PM

I would have Googled it if I felt I needed to know
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:28 PM

These odd sayings are often buried in the past ,its interesting to find how they started
Have you anymore RS
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:30 PM

we used to say, night night sleep tight hope the bed bugs don't bite
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:36 PM

What about a stitch in time saves nine - what's that about ?
Although in my case I understand it, tried knitting but started with say 20 stitches - and would end up with 29 !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I would have Googled it if I felt I needed to know
Same here but I happened to find out and actually see the bed
in the house Shakespeare lived it, this was more interesting than Googling it

Video of a rope bed being tightened

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:45 PM

I google everything. Sometimes, though, people let you know facts that we'd never think of finding out about. The "don't let the bugs bite" reminded me of Angela's Ashes, where they moved into a place and the bugs were literally biting them. They took the mattress out a beat it. How lucky are we! I never stop thinking of how fortunate we are in this day and age, of the memory foam mattresses and the likes!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

02-02-2015, 08:30 PM

One you more than likely won't be able to google.

My grandmothers house in Cornwall as did many other christian houses had a secret sign

Let me explain

If someone was a stranger to an area and looking for a place to stay, many offering hospitality only did it to rob and or murder the "guest".
Also back in those days there was a lot of "anti" christian feelings and one never knew who was who let alone a stranger.

So how did a Christian house show it was?

In my grandmothers house the cupboard door frames were it the form of a cross, with two small panels at the top and two longer ones below.
AS soon as a "visitor" saw that they knew they would be safe. Under the large granite doorstep they placed a Cornish penny for good luck.

This Cornish penny came in many forms see below

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...ny%3B800%3B600
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Looking at that video of the two men tightening the rope bed, it doesn't appear to be very strong for todays build of person, wonder did they do a double bed version?, or maybe that was the double bed on account of them being half starved and skinny, if they did I could see a fair sized couple going through the ropes and ending up on the floor, possibly even accidentally hanging themselves if they were twisting and turning during the night, or whatever else the would get up to. If I was around then I think I'd stick to the straw on the floor, anyway health and safety would never pass it today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top