Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Driving at 70

I was listening to a debate on the radio last night about driving in retirement. I am not a driver myself but found the discussion very interesting.

There is no legal age when you stop driving.

When you reach 70 all you need to do is renew your licence and and it's up to you whether you think you are fit to drive or not.
As you grow older though, I wonder if there is a time when you feel less confident behind the wheel but won't admit to it. It must be very difficult for someone who has been driving for the biggest part of their life to make the decision to give it up.

Should the over 70's be made to take their driving tests again?
After all, there is a huge increase in the traffic on the roads these days to say 40 or 50 years ago and concentration is a must.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Re: Driving at 70

Yes, I think anyone over 70 should have to take another driving test. It's good for the driver and the others on the road.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 04:41 PM

There is an elderly gentleman who stays near where I live and he was still driving up until last year and he is 86!! I don't see why anyone of 70, or above should have to stop driving if they are able to and as long as their reflexes are in good working order. My elderly friends who I cared for, when the husband was living he knew himself when to stop at the age of 73. He felt he couldn't do it any more.

I don't drive myself but as long as the persons are fit and healthy, I see no reason why they should not drive on. Some of the older drivers could teach the young ones a thing, or two. This was mentioned on the tv news the other night and a gentleman of 80 was still driving and with a clean licence, after being a driver for the most part of his life - I wonder how many young drivers are like that!

Don't see why they should have to resit a driving test either.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 04:48 PM

I agree Rose that so many are really able to handle driving into much later than 70 or 80 but I just think the test about 70 would be a good idea to improve safety on the roads.

We have a lady 80 who is a wonderful driver still and a couple others younger that would scare the bajeebers out of you
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 05:28 PM

I think it's a good idea - just to be on the safe side. My dad still drives but I do worry about him behind the wheel :-/
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Speaking as someone who is over 70, I do feel it is a good idea for people my age to be re-tested. I know there is a scheme whereby you can be checked out, by (I think) the Institute of Advanced Motorist, and they will assess one's fitness to drive. It is something I keep meaning to do, but am not sure of the cost. My daughter's father-in-law is in his mid eighties and he most certainly should not be driving. He has a heart condition, is proundly deaf, but just will not give up his car, despite their pleading with him to stop.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Should the over 70's be made to take their driving tests again?

Just to add a bit more info. You do have to take a test at age 70 if you want to drive anything over 3500 Kg. (About 15,000 Lbs) I don't know if that was mentioned on the radio program.

Some versions of the Ford Transit, fully loaded could be above this limit so it's worth bearing in mind if anyone hires a van for any reason.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Just to add a bit more info. You do have to take a test at age 70 if you want to drive anything over 3500 Kg. (About 15,000 Lbs) I don't know if that was mentioned on the radio program.

Some versions of the Ford Transit, fully loaded could be above this limit so it's worth bearing in mind if anyone hires a van for any reason.
I didn't hear any mention of that point Losos but it certainly makes sense in cases like that.

My late FIL used to be a delivery driver for an engineering company when he was in his 80's ...... he used to drive a white Transit Van, I'm not sure of the weight of it but I can't remember him ever having to take a test when he took the job.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Might be behind the times here, but I was under the impression that the DVLA contacted you when you turned 70 and you had to have a medical and eye-test before they would renew your licence........I'm probably wrong because I do tend to live life in the 'slow lane' (pardon the pun!)
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 11:04 PM

This is a subject very close to my heart. I think they should be re-tested at 70 or maybe 75.

My Dad, who was 87, had to give up driving in the end as he just wasn't able to physically drive anymore due to a very bad leg. Just before that he just wouldn't give up driving. He used to fall asleep at the wheel if he had to wait at traffic lights or stop to go around a roundabout. I know that because my Mum was in the passenger seat and had to shout at him to wake him up, she used to tell me. He had to use crutches to walk and many people wondered how the hell he could drive walking as bad as he did. We (his children) begged him to give up but he just would'nt. In the end luckily (in a way) he had to give it up as his leg just wouldn't let him drive anymore. We were always so frightened he would run someone down but whatever you said to him he just wouldn't stop driving and my Dad isn't someone that you can reason with, he is an extremely stubborn man.

My Mum still drives and she's 90 this year I have been a passenger with her about six months ago and I don't think she should be driving and I told her that. She's okay with her reactions but she seems to keep steering the car in a funny way

The trouble is when people tell the elderly they need to give up driving they won't. I suppose it will mean the end of their independance if they do but I feel you have to think about other people and motorists on the road.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top