Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 11:55 PM

Expensive weddings??

I finally hit the generation gap! What's with all the 20 & 30-somethings spending £10's of thousands on weddings? I'm baffled. To us it was just a formality to be got thru as cheaply as poss, we'd already been living together & didn't see the point. My kids generation tho seem to be in competition to out-spend each other. And these are generally kids with Uni debts to pay off, which we never had, plus a much bigger chunk needed to put down on a house if they want one.

My son is spending ££thousands on a one-day junket, I can't even say how much it is, its embarassing. Other son spent only several thousand less than this one is spending when he got hitched.. it was a sort of flamboyant circus complete with breakdancers & portrait painters. Bizarre. Maybe we can blame Facebook in that they all know what their 2000 'friends' are up to in a way we never did?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 12:33 AM

Re: Expensive weddings??

I think it is madness spending so much money on one day

My niece recently spent a fortune on her wedding having lived with her 'husband' for about 10 years and had two children.
Now she is borrowing money off her parents to do up her house.

Many young people seem to have their priorities all wrong.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 12:34 AM

Seems crazy to me as well Jodie. Then some wonder why they can't get on the housing ladder. Maybe some young couples also are worried what their 'friends' will say if they don't splash out enough. It all seems too competitive to me, and that's not what it should be about.
I don't imagine I will ever marry again, but if I did, I certainly would not want a huge gawdy affair.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Seems crazy to me as well Jodie. Then some wonder why they can't get on the housing ladder. Maybe some young couples also are worried what their 'friends' will say if they don't splash out enough. It all seems too competitive to me, and that's not what it should be about.
I know! nuts, right? wouldn't you rather have a decent home & some cash to start your life with...I mean having babies ain't cheap. I talked to my daughter about this (she got married on a beach in Hawaii cos her OH is from the USA and they wanted to get hitched quickly - no one there but the priest). She said "but won't it make you proud of him?" errr .. no! cos (1) I'm already proud of him and (2) I think he's jumped on a bandwagon & is chucking stupid amounts of cash down the proverbial plughole . I did say that to both the boys but they just looked sortof blank & blamed it on their fiancees .. hmmm
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 01:52 AM

My mother knows someone's daughter who was barmy enough to spend £3,000 on a wedding dress, so god knows what the whole event cost. Some of these Bridezillas need to be told to grow up.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 02:11 AM

I“ve never seen the point in spending a fortune on a dress that will most likely only ever be worn once. I know everyone wants a special day but surely spending thousands that could be used to buy a house and furnish it is more important. I read recently that the average cost of a wedding these days is 20/30 thousand pounds. All I can think is that there are some very wealthy people or some who think it worth getting into serious debt for the sake of a big show.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 04:15 AM

A relative of mine spent over 15000 pounds on his daughter's 'dream' wedding. The happy couple separated almost a year to the day later, 'The magic had gone'. On the bright side they remained friends.

Waste of money - I gave my daughter and son $2000 toward their respective weddings. They spent far too much in my opinion but at least they could afford it.

The Chinese have the best idea they rent everything including the bride's dress. My daughter in law's dress hangs neglected in my front room, it hasn't even been dry cleaned after the wedding and it cost a fortune.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Some couples do decide to go abroad and have an exotic holiday and a wedding at the same time. What they don't realise is that they should get two copies of the marriage certificate as it is hard if not impossible to get a copy from some places later on. Person I know his marriage has gone sour after ten years and he wants a divorce but his wife has the only certificate and won't hand it over. Consequently he can't prove he was married without it so divorce is neigh impossible for him and he can,t get a copy.
Needless to say he says she is using it as a means to get him to give her money.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 08:28 AM

My brother was still paying the debt from his wedding when he got divorced..
A friend of mine married last year wanted the whole Downton Abby effect spent thousands , prosfessional caterers , photographer , video etc etc and ended up asking for my photos because the pro's were rubbish ..
Plus half the people there hadnt seen bride or groom for years and some had never met one or other partner..
Cant see the point..
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 08:33 AM

My wedding was a modest affair not over expensive, however the divorce was the polar opposite.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top