Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Diction

Many complaints about mumbling by actors and presenters on TV. To me, regional accents are part of the magic of the UK, but poor diction can spoil that effect.

Breathing control with the diaphragm, voice projection sans microphones used to be the training regime for many. Even pronunciation can be ruined by poor delivery, or a slipshod mind.

Quite often on the continent, I have been corrected with my pronunciation of a word or sentence, and I am delighted to get it right.

Could schools do more with elocution, or parents?

What do you think folks?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Re: Diction

Schools have a hard task here I'd say
Never known it so bad - what adults tend to do today - is go with the flow, rather than correcting ........
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 07:54 PM

The rain in spain falls mostly on tourists without a brolly
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 08:04 PM

I think if people are speaking to an audience be it Stage, Radio, TV, Cinema, or Public speaking they should speak the language correctly as it should be spoken, sort of like a newsreader who to me has a neutral accent, then folks from every region and every Country that speaks English will understand, except of course if they are playing a particular role that calls for the use of an accent, but thats just my opinion and seeing that I will never be addressing an audience I just use my casual Dublin accent which I feel very comfortable with.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Many complaints about mumbling by actors and presenters on TV. To me, regional accents are part of the magic of the UK, but poor diction can spoil that effect.
Bring back Diction of Dock Green with actors who speak proper like that's what I say.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Maybe it`s getting older but I loathe background music on the tv when folk are talking-I just find it hard to hear them
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 08:22 PM

In front of a mixed audience, yes. because most will understand you. In day to day life, no. I can't say I'm that bothered as I have more interest in folk as "people" and more to be worried about.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Maybe it`s getting older but I loathe background music on the tv when folk are talking-I just find it hard to hear them
Agree with you ,i wish there was a switch to turn it off ,i think thats why i do not watch much TV .
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I agree with you, my hubby is always 'giving up' on a programme because of supposed 'background' music completely drowning out the dialogue.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 09:46 PM

I think the background music being a nuisance is an age thing.

Old age doesn't come itself

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top