Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

28-01-2015, 07:21 PM

Street Drugs

I have give this posting much thought, so here goes.
What is your opinion on street drugs ?
1) I can tell you that people take drugs like Cocaine, Extasy, LSD and Marijuana to feel good about life for a little while.
2) Taking street drugs is very dangerous because you never know the strength of what you are taking and you don't know what it has been cut with.
3) They are often very addictive in that you want to experience that state of mind again because you feel so good.
4) These substances are against the law and if you get caught with them you can be sent to prison.
5) The drugs listed above tend to be quite expensive.
6) Street drugs affect your learning ability and your memory because they alter your brain chemistry.
7 ) It can be even more dangerous if you take street drugs when you are older.
8) There is no doubt at all that young people who take street drugs suffer with a retarded emotional development and a loss of up to 8 points on IQ.

Now don't think I am just quoting all this out of a book, I have mixed with lots of people who have taken these sbstances for long periods, believe me it ends in disaster unfortunately.
I tried all four of the above substances at wild parties which I was invited to in my early days. The effects were great at the time but when I saw what it did to long term users it put me off right away. Now I don't really like taking what the GP gves me because I wonder what damage it is doing to me without me knowing.
Lets take a look at these substances

Cocaine has a formula C17H21NO4 it is looked at as the caviar of street drugs. When you take it your body temperature rises, your heart beat gets faster and it supresses any feelings of hunger. It increases your emotional feelings and all this happens in just 2 minutes and lasts for up to 30 minutes, then you will want to snort another line.
This stuff is not physically adictive but it is very adictive mentally because you want to achieve that state of mind again. People I know sent every penny they had on this substance to the point of losing their house, wife and family. Very scary !

Extasy tablets are made from a cocktail of substances, the main one being MDMA. It is often refered to as a RAVE drug which stands for Radical, Audio, Visual, Experience. The medical people would tell you that extasy is taken because of it's euphoric and empathogenic effects. I can tell you that it makes you feel " loved up " it surpresses your negative feelings like hunger, exhaustion, pain and depression. Instead you have feelings of joy, excitement, love, inner peace, closeness to others and complete and utter contentment with yourself. Once again they are not physically addictive but you always want to return to that state of mind.

LSD has a formula of C20H25N30 it has a chemical name of Lysergic acid diethylamide.
The effects of this drug depends on how much you take, your mood and your personality. The environment it is take it in will also affect the experience.
The effects start from 30 to 90 minutes after taking it and the TRIP can last a day or more. Some say they never really get over it.
It is common to experience loss of appetite, sleeplessness, dry mouth and tremors.
Most take it for it's hallucinogenic effects as it causes changes in visual perception, in particular intensity of colour.
You can never predict whether you are going to have a good or a bad TRIP. I found this very scary but others find this drug interesting because of the unpredictability.

Finally we look at Marijuana or cannabis as it's called. It can be a bud a lump of resin a crystal powder or an oil. The main active substance is THC. The drug has the effect of supressing memory, concentration, perception of time and coordinated movement. The taker feels relaxed, without pain and in a state of pleasure. It gives you a " high " and lasts for hours. Because it is from a plant you cannot predict the strength of what you are taking.
I think it is all best avoided because I don't want to loose my ability to think but I would like to here your opinion.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Re: Street Drugs

I agree with everything you said.

'Street drugs' to be avoided at all costs.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Avoid all street drugs - only way to live, literally!!!
Always told my two youngsters the dangers and laid it on a bit thick to scare 'em both - I think it worked!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:39 PM

People who take recreational drugs are cretins. Who would want to emulate them anyway?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:07 PM

I will be quite frank and say I feel quite sorry for people who are hooked on drugs, some one some where where got them started and set them on a down ward spiral from which for a lot of them there is no escape. Meanwhile unscrupulous people are making a fortune out of it all. It is all wrong and I can"t see where it is going to end , I think the government have washed their hands of it . That is my opinion for what it is worth, don"t want to be too political bye the way. Hope I have not offended anyone.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I will be quite frank and say I feel quite sorry for people who are hooked on drugs, some one some where where got them started and set them on a down ward spiral from which for a lot of them there is no escape. Meanwhile unscrupulous people are making a fortune out of it all. It is all wrong and I can"t see where it is going to end , I think the government have washed their hands of it . That is my opinion for what it is worth, don"t want to be too political bye the way. Hope I have not offended anyone.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:35 PM

About two years ago , I had appointment with a doctor in my surgery , not my normal doctor who was off , later that night went to a local to catch up with some old face , the doctor I had a appointment with earlier , was on the pool table with a bunch of local lads , she was doing lines of coke , I not the person that can easy get shock , but I was shock , more so thinking what a idiot , she work and trained hard to get were she is as a doctor , just to throw it all away .

Quite a few year now , were we did rugby training , the area was a red light area , our training pitch was in a park , the park was smallish , and had a road running thought the middle, prostitutes work in this road , either to pick up in a car or take clients in the park , there was two local girls that were on hard drugs , the sad thing about it , their children would play no more 100 yards away on the play area , and their mums are saleing them-selfs in full view , to buy hard drugs
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:40 PM

I've never taken drugs - unless you count alcohol and the occasional cigar or fill of pipe tobacco.
I have lived in Amsterdam & Utrecht for a number of years where they have a more relaxed attitude to cannabis. As far as I'm aware, it is not legal, but it is not criminalised. There is even a cannabis museum where you can buy everything you need to grow it yourself, and I've seen people buying cannibis plants and taking them back in the tram.

Hard drugs were a different matter. A club owner told me that if the police had found a sniff of any hard drug on the premises, they would have been closed down.

You can hardly walk down a street in Amsterdam without smelling cannabis smoke, but I was never aware of it causing problems.

People who take recreational drugs are cretins. Who would want to emulate them anyway? Go tell that to the Dutch.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->

You sure as hell did not offend me in the least, your response was practical, but obviously very kind hearted and sympathetic towards those caught up in the dangerous cycles of addiction.

I can relate, as I have suffered from my Eating Dis for 32 years, and telling me to just ' pull up my bootstraps ' is about as useful as bringing snow to the South Pole.

Many addicted people have no bootstraps to pull.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
You sure as hell did not offend me in the least, your response was practical, but obviously very kind hearted and sympathetic towards those caught up in the dangerous cycles of addiction.

I can relate, as I have suffered from my Eating Dis for 32 years, and telling me to just ' pull up my bootstraps ' is about as useful as bringing snow to the South Pole.

Many addicted people have no bootstraps to pull.
I'm with you Tish. It didn't offend me either. Athough such drugs put the fear of death in me, I just can't write everyone off who takes them. There but by the grace of God go I. None of us know what's round the corner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top