Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Black or Coloured

It seems Benedict Cumberpatch has landed himself in the doghouse,In America ,, I was surprised at the reaction to his descriptive Word , In no way was he being racist or out to cause trouble .
One explanation said Colored brings back memories of how they were treated.

One never knows when you are putting ones foot in it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30996686

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30994775
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:29 PM

Re: Black or Coloured

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
It seems Benedict Cumberpatch has landed himself in the doghouse,In America ,, I was surprised at the reaction to his descriptive Word , In no way was he being racist or out to cause trouble .
One explanation said Colored brings back memories of how they were treated.

One never knows when you are putting ones foot in it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30996686

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30994775
I used to be on edge about using the wrong term and opted for dark guy or gal - then realised not all 'are' dark - so I'll stick to coloured and take me chances
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Maybe black is the correct term, I don't know, but he was like Uriah Heep - far too apologetic. A simple sorry would suffice, I'm sure.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:33 PM

Well........being one of the few Yanks here, I'll explain things a bit.

Black folks were not allowed to vote in this country until the mid 60s ( see the movie Selma when it hits your movie houses if you want to ger a feel for the times ) and were lynched by the KKK, and were so down trodden and made to feel worthless, that many came up North to NY, Chicago, etc to escape the South.

They were generally just called Nigger. But when the more 'polite' whites who hired them as maids wanted a 'nicer' term for them, they started calling them 'colored people'. In the late 70's-early 80s, they themselves wanted to be known as African-Americans, and that more or less is how politicians and social organizations refer to them. Calling somebody black is still ok, but sometimes it comes with undertones of ' you know, he's a BLACK guy ' wink wink.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:42 PM

I like the term African American - its a perfect fit .....
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:45 PM

In the UK at one time black was an offensive word , so you were supposed to say coloured, now that's offensive and you have to say black .Not everyone is up to speed on the latest P.C dictates so why not listen to the meanings behind the words instead of immediately getting offended and jumping on the racist bandwagon...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
In the UK at one time black was an offensive word , so you were supposed to say coloured, now that's offensive and you have to say black .Not everyone is up to speed on the latest P.C dictates so why not listen to the meanings behind the words instead of immediately getting offended and jumping on the racist bandwagon...
Yep - big tick from me .....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I agree, but surely the different races have names for us , just saying.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Black > Coloured.... Coloured > Black ...... don't the powers that be realise that some of us are of the age when confusion sets in and I for one can never remember which is the current correct term to use
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
Well........being one of the few Yanks here, I'll explain things a bit.

Black folks were not allowed to vote in this country until the mid 60s ( see the movie Selma when it hits your movie houses if you want to ger a feel for the times ) and were lynched by the KKK, and were so down trodden and made to feel worthless, that many came up North to NY, Chicago, etc to escape the South.

They were generally just called Nigger. But when the more 'polite' whites who hired them as maids wanted a 'nicer' term for them, they started calling them 'colored people'. In the late 70's-early 80s, they themselves wanted to be known as African-Americans, and that more or less is how politicians and social organizations refer to them. Calling somebody black is still ok, but sometimes it comes with undertones of ' you know, he's a BLACK guy ' wink wink.
I will never forget the very first time I went to the US of A, we visited an English woman who had lived there for years.
She was driving us and a black chap stepped onto the crossing and she said "Get out of the way Nigger". I just could not believe it. Was quite horrified TBH.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top