Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 11:23 PM

I'm not a particularly religious man but..

..some thirty years ago or so I found this rather smallish card in a little plastic bag lying on the pavement and this is what it had printed on it.
FOOTPRINTS
One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints on the sand, one belonging to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that this happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.
" Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you you'd walk with me all the way, but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most
you would leave me"

The Lord replied " You precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you"

That little card has been in my wallet since the day I found it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Re: I'm not a particularly religious man but..

My father once gave me a bookmark with that same verse on it..
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 11:38 PM

Hi Cass. Yes I think that's possibly what this was once. A bit faded and jaded now but its always with me. If you google the word Footprints there's lots of info about it.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:27 AM

I have a little card like that .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Yes oddly even when I was an atheist I carried a card my gran had left me with that on it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:04 PM

I've seen that verse many times throughout the years. I admit to finding it quite touching the first time I read it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:31 PM

That's a nice thing to keep in your wallet EZ, good for you. I'm not very religious either but I do have a special very short prayer I say everyday, my granny taught it to me when I was a wee nipper, works wonders for me and I wouldn't have a day go by without saying it. I think we all have our own little ways whether we believe or not, could be we mix up ancient superstitions with religion, but who really knows.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:47 PM

Not at all religious myself. I do like the sentiments of your little story though. Can't think where but I'm sure I must have heard it before, it seems somehow familiar.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 02:00 PM

I've read it many times but never had anything with it on. I think it's a very reassuring little verse, for me anyway.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Davenorave ->
Not at all religious myself. I do like the sentiments of your little story though. Can't think where but I'm sure I must have heard it before, it seems somehow familiar.
For many years these words have been very popular Dave - so you have probably come across it .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top