Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Why don't bikes have mudguards?

Tony & I went a walk by our local reservoir this afternoon and two bikes rode past us. The riders were covered in mud all up the back of their legs - they were absolutely caked in it - their clothing too.

It seems crazy to me that bikes no longer seem to have mudguards.

Does anybody have an idea why? I'd love to know!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Re: Why don't bikes have mudguards?

I'd like to know too Carol, my two teenage grandsons got new bikes for Christmas and the first thing I noticed was they had no mudguards, as I've often said, the world is going backwards, it's the age of uninventing reliable things.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 08:49 PM

You can buy them and fit them fairly easily my husband put one on Tasha's bike and he put one on his own. Relatively cheap too as they save on washing !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 08:53 PM

If you buy a bike without mudguards, it doesn't have mudguards. If you buy a bike with mudguards, it does have mudguards.
It's up to you what you buy. My son's bike has always had mudguards.

Generally, mountain bikes don't have them, but city/commuting bikes do.
You can always fit them - it's not rocket science.
Hermione
United Kingdom
Hermione is female  Hermione has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 09:01 PM

I always have mudguards on my bike but my son hates them... who knows why..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2015, 09:04 PM

I thought it was illegal not to have mudguards on a bike and a reflector. This may be revelent

Link

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0100198_en.pdf
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 08:30 AM

You don't really need them on the front because the frame cops most of the spray but you can broaden the down tube by attaching a plastic piece which keeps spray off your legs and feet.

On the back you can buy a cheap plastic attachment that stops the spray going up your back.

These are much better solutions, lighter and far more easily attached and removed than the old fashioned mudguards.

When I used to cycle I never bothered because when it rains here it really rains so you are soaked through anyway a bit of spray off the road makes little difference. Having said that in 20 years cycling 24km to work every day the number of times I got wet could be counted on your fingers.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Never ride a bike in the rain or on none congealed earth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Tony & I went a walk by our local reservoir this afternoon and two bikes rode past us. The riders were covered in mud all up the back of their legs - they were absolutely caked in it - their clothing too.

It seems crazy to me that bikes no longer seem to have mudguards.

I agree Carol, I suppose if one or two kids do it, the rest have to follow. They may soon change their minds if they had to do their own washing!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 10:50 AM

I think it started with the craze for 'mountain bikes' which don't have mudguards then others followed...

My brother bought my son a mountain bike for christmas on year and he used to get covered mud which he said was part of the fun I didn't find it much fun washing the mud off his clothes

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top