Join for free
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

23-01-2015, 06:44 AM

Lecturing without knowing the subject.

I had to share this with you because some of my colleagues said it could not be done.
As a young lecturer you are often requested to stand in for absent colleagues who for some reason cannot take a class.
On this particular occasion I was asked to take a class of metrology students. My immediate reaction was to think, I don't know anything about the weather. On my way to the classroom I was told that this was an HND class and that metrology was the scientific study of measurement. My heart sank, I had never heard of this, what on earth was I going to find in this workshop.
I entered the room and said good morning and introduced myself. There were 22 class members, quite a lot for a workshop. Suddenly an air of shear devience came over me and I thought I would pull this off.
No sitting back and telling them to read or persue some private study, I was going to be a metrology lecturer.
"Right gentleman " I said " today we will be recaping on what you have learn't this year. Now who can tell me what this is" I grabbed this enormous device which stood in the centre of the workshop, what it was I did not have a clue. "That is a profile projector sir " one of the students shouted out " and what do you use it for" I replied, there was a short silence "come on " I said "some one have a go " " Well sir, you put a piece of material in the machine and it beams a shadow over to the screen with light around it so you can measure it" dam clever I though, never seen such a thing before but it makes sense. I looked around the class and observed the nodding of heads " well done " I said. This went on all through the two hour lecturer and I was begining to enjoy it. Did I ever have to learn anything to teach or perhaps I could just ask the right questions and get them to do the work. At the end of two hours I had learnt quite a bit. They had told me what nearly ever instrument did. I decided to send them for a 15 minute break so I could make a few notes, they had told me so much stuff I did not know. When they got back we talked about " setting blocks " no, I am the same as you, I didn't have a clue what they are. One of the students explained they were for accurately setting up a right angle. Well I went with that and no - one disagreed so it had to be right. Then came the moment I was dreading, someone put there hand up and said " what would you use setting blocks for sir " I thought fast " anyone got an answer" I said, there was a stoney silence and I looked around for even the slightest response, there was nothing, was my cover blown, now of course it wasn't I had anticipated such a situation 30 minutes back when things were going so well. " right, your homework for this week is to explain four situations where an engineer might use a setting block " there was a few sighs but they realised I was not going to tell them. What they didn't know was I didn't have a clue. I said " well thats all for today lads, your usual lecturer will be back next week " I really hoped so because I didn't know whether I would be able to pull this off a second week. but it was OK. One of the students stepped forward and thanked me for such an interesting lecture. I just smiled and walked out. I realised then that lecturing was not a sciece but an art, therefore the more artful you are, the better you will be at it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Re: Lecturing without knowing the subject.

When I was lecturing the biology teacher asked me to supervise her class as she had to be elsewhere. She said she would leave work for them to do. It was a class of 16/17 year old girls on a hairdressing course. When I got to the classroom I found she had put a couple of drawings on the blackboard for the girls to copy into their notebooks.........the male and female genitalia. I had to laugh when one of the girls said "I am no good at drawing, I'll make a right cock-up of this !
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

23-01-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
When I was lecturing the biology teacher asked me to supervise her class as she had to be elsewhere. She said she would leave work for them to do. It was a class of 16/17 year old girls on a hairdressing course. When I got to the classroom I found she had put a couple of drawings on the blackboard for the girls to copy into their notebooks.........the male and female genitalia. I had to laugh when one of the girls said "I am no good at drawing, I'll make a right cock-up of this !
Alan, I love this, teaching girls can be a problem because just like in adult life the women can ALWAYS get the better of us.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 11:26 AM

The Socratic approach to questioning is based on the practice of disciplined, thoughtful dialogue. Socrates, the early Greek philosopher/teacher, believed that disciplined practice of thoughtful questioning enabled the student to examine ideas logically and to determine the validity of those ideas.

What I got when googling 'Socratic Question.'
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 01:44 PM

I always remember one of the times I did go to school, in a woodwork lesson the teacher said what's makes woodwork different and harder than metal work , you can't bend wood , I put my hand up and said yes you can , by streaming the wood, he got angry and give me the cane across my knuckles , even though I was right ,
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 01:58 PM

And thus Nasrudin approached the crowd asking `which of you know what I will say`

We all do was the reply.

Well if you know it anyway I `m going home.

Nasrudin approached the crowd another time and asked the same question

Nobody knew.

Well then there is no point as you will not understand-and Nasrudin went home.

The final time the crowd was wiser and replied `some do some do not`

Then let those who know tell those who do not and Nasrudin went home.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2015, 02:03 PM

I think I have entered a "Nasreddin Phase".

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top