Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 11:41 PM

Grounds for Divorce?

I was reading something today that gave me food for thought.
It was an article about smoking, when one partner does and the other one hates it. The article said (probably tongue in cheek), might it be grounds for divorce?
If it does put health at risk, for the smoker and his/her spouse, is it fair? And what about if they haven't got a lot of spare cash, should the non-smoker begrudge the financial cost? Then we could consider the smell, both of the smoker personally, plus the pong around the home. Who wants to kiss a smelly partner? Would you find it off-putting to kiss someone who always smelled bad of B.O or had dreadful halitosis for example, so why is the smell and taste of stale smoke meant to be acceptable?
It all made me think, although the smokers here will quickly shout at me no doubt!
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Re: Grounds for Divorce?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It was an article about smoking, when one partner does and the other one hates it. The article said (probably tongue in cheek), might it be grounds for divorce?
If it does put health at risk, for the smoker and his/her spouse, is it fair? And what about if they haven't got a lot of spare cash, should the non-smoker begrudge the financial cost? Then we could consider the smell, both of the smoker personally, plus the pong around the home. Who wants to kiss a smelly partner? Would you find it off-putting to kiss someone who always smelled bad of B.O or had dreadful halitosis for example, so why is the smell and taste of stale smoke meant to be acceptable?
It all made me think, although the smokers here will quickly shout at me no doubt!

I will shout at you, but in AGREEMENT !!
Ick hate the smell of smoke and as a person who suffered from asthma that required an inhaler, I know the value of being able to breathe freely now. My other half sorted that out right from the get-go, he is rabidly antii smoking and if I was a smoker, he would not have gotten involved with me.

Also because I have mild OCD, bad smells freak me out, so I shower and shampoo twice daily, so I would not want to kiss a smoke laden body !!!
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:20 AM

One of the reasons I gave up smoking many years ago was because my partner didn't smoke. Don't understand how, but he never noticed the smell on my breath - must have been intoxicated with love! I can smell smoke a mile off, even before I gave it up. Hate it now and when I look back I can't help but feel sorry for all those people at work, who didnt smoke, but who had to put up with it.

The other reason was I bought new curtains at a time when money was scarce and I didn't want them smelling of smoke. They were the velvet type and just one night of a few ciggies was enough to get in the fabric. Next morning the packet went in the bin. Thank goodness.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:32 AM

As most smokers seem to start smoking at a young age presumable when a couple first get together one will be made aware that the other smokes.
As with any other annoying habit if it offends one member of a partnership sufficiently they can decide that are not a good match before the relationship develops.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
As most smokers seem to start smoking at a young age presumable when a couple first get together one will be made aware that the other smokes.
As with any other annoying habit if it offends one member of a partnership sufficiently they can decide that are not a good match before the relationship develops.

Yes, probably true Meg. I guess the problems may arise if one quits and the other one doesn't. It was an article in "Mature Times" I saw today.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wouldn't limit it to smokers, what about the smelly
farters!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-01-2015, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I wouldn't limit it to smokers, what about the smelly
farters!

Cough splutter It didn't mention those Honey.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 05:12 AM

i was quite a heavy smoker many years ago (30 a day) and didn't realise that with me and my father both smoking the damage it cause to non smokers.

I went "cold turkey" and believe me it was not easy.Every time I stopped working my thoughts were "have a smoke" ,and I would say it took about 3 years to finally stop thinking "must have a cigerette". Yes I put on weight and the local sweet shop must have made a fortune. but I got through it and now food tastes so much better is a bonus.

Now as a non smoker for at least 30+ years even if someone anywhere near is smoking really annoys me. I seem to be more sensitive to the smoke now
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 07:28 AM

I hate the smell of smoke. Even passing someone in the street, I can smell it on their clothes even without a ciggie in their hand. I'd find it very difficult to live with a smoker, not sure how I'd cope really but I can't imagine falling for someone who had the habit - kissing them would be a real turn off.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 08:23 AM

I always remember the first day I met barb. There she was supping a pint of brown ale and as we were introduced she blew cigar smoke in my face and I realised.........this was the girl for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top