Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Children taking sweets from Pick n Mix

Getting some sweets for myself in Wilko this afternoon and a little girl appeared beside me and started to take a sweet from the selection. I said quietly 'don't do that please'. She withdrew reluctantly, and then came back with her sister and they tried it again. So I challenged her yet again. 'My mum said we could take a sweet each.' I said 'only if you pay for it!'

Mum then called them from the tills and they went away without their sweets.

Was I being harsh/unfair? Or was I giving them a lesson - that mother should have done - that they should not steal?

Customers pay for lost profits in higher prices, so if one child did this once or twice a day, what about Wilko's loss?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Re: Children taking sweets from Pick n Mix

I am with you on this one, Jazzi. Those Pick and Mix things are a great temptation - but children should be taught not to steal.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:23 PM

You did the right thing, Jazzi, I would have said something, too. Until paid for they're not for eating!
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am with you on this one, Jazzi. Those Pick and Mix things are a great temptation - but children should be taught not to steal.

100% right, but as a bit of germophobe, I have added issues with that, I would not like to buy something that 50 hands per day were digging thru.

I see something similar here in NY supermarkets. People will pick up a large bag of grapes, then carry on eating them while continuing with their shopping, so what they've eaten never was paid for.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Two things come to mind here ,first is when my daughter was about 2 she went shopping with me and she had a small red zip up bag , i happened to turn round and see her putting sweets in the bag , i told her off and took the sweets out and put them back.
Years later my neighbour who was working there at the time use to delight in telling everyone about this episode ,and it became quite obvious i was being watched each time i shopped there ,and to the point where id be asked to empty my bag out at the till on some occasions ,I stopped going to that shop in the end .
The other that comes to mind is not all children can take in right from wrong ,
I would have left it to the parent to chastise the children .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:35 PM

You did right Jazzi. You can't just help yourself to stuff in shops! I've seen adults noshing stuff in the fruit and veg aisles. It never ceases to amaze me. Buy the bloomin stuff like the rest of us and stop nickin it!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Two things come to mind here ,first is when my daughter was about 2 she went shopping with me and she had a small red zip up bag , i happened to turn round and see her putting sweets in the bag , i told her off and took the sweets out and put them back.
Years later my neighbour who was working there at the time use to delight in telling everyone about this episode ,and it became quite obvious i was being watched each time i shopped there ,and to the point where id be asked to empty my bag out at the till on some occasions ,I stopped going to that shop in the end .
The other that comes to mind is not all children can take in right from wrong ,
I would have left it to the parent to chastise the children .
Supermarkets have a lot to answer for - they put temptation in strategic places so of course children will take a sweet. Its up to the parents to keep an eye for sure, but the supermarkets also have a responsibility ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Absolutely right Jazzie, one sweet or 20 it is stealing.

My son once bit a peach in Tescos when he was about 3 . I took it to the till in my trolley with the shopping and paid for it having told him he could only take fruit at home unless mummy asked him to put it in a bag in a shop .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Most children commit minor crimes but still grow up to be decent, law abiding adults, parents should be teaching them the right things however.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 09:36 PM

The girls said their Mum told them they could take a sweet each. To me, that is so wrong! She was yards away at the tills and as I was getting my own sweets I politely asked them not to put their hands in. And did say, not unless you pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top