Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Outside our local Sainsburys

This morning, as usual, we went down the town to get all those little bits 'n bobs we can still get cheaper in our town and, directly outside of Sainsburys front entrance was a man with a small cardboard sign saying "Recently made homeless - nowhere to go - social won't help - please give generously"

Normally I'm pretty wary of these because up here we've had "professional" beggars before, up from London, but what saddened me was this man looked to be late 50s / early 60s.

He could have been genuine but around here we've had all sorts of conmen so people are very wary now - and I did notice that his tin was empty.

I feel mean but why is someone reduced to that in this country?

It's sickening. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Re: Outside our local Sainsburys

Because there is not enough social housing and people without an address don't get much help at all.

I read somewhere most people are barely one month away from homelessness in this country if they lost their job.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 06:14 PM

I don't know Steve, but any amount of different circumstances could have led to him being homeless, family troubles, loss of job etc.

I understand your reluctance to give to beggars these days, and as you say in our somewhat civilised country it shouldn't be happening, but sometimes I think there but for the grace of God....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
I don't know Steve, but any amount of different circumstances could have led to him being homeless, family troubles, loss of job etc.

I understand your reluctance to give to beggars these days, and as you say in our somewhat civilised country it shouldn't be happening, but sometimes I think there but for the grace of God....
Agree - go by your gut feeling and give to those you feel are genuine .......
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree with those sentiments, a couple bob doesn't hurt any one really !
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 08:10 PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...n-8646973.html

Was this the man?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Most definitely, make up your own mind to give or not, at least you'll know he's getting all you give him and not some greedy charity taking the Lions share of it.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 08:16 PM

Because a single male isnt entitled to anything bar the minimum going thats why.
Its always been this way and likely always will be.
I speak from recent experience of the social system.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 09:12 PM

We have a local homeless shelter which we support by giving food. I don't give to beggars on the street because of the scammers.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 09:40 PM

I've come upon far to many 'professional beggars' . I tell them to 'go away', or words to that effect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top