Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:20 AM

Complain up, not down

Ever thought about it? People tend to complain down, not up.

I work in the nhs. I'm the first to admit that there are problems with the service, but, most of us do our best to make sure patients are well looked after.

I find that when there are problems, with the service, nurses will complain to ward admin staff, doctors will complain to nurses, when the solutions to most of these problems lie with higher management. So people should complain upward, not downward.

Is this simply a problem for the nhs, and, if the trend were to be reversed, would some of the current problems be able to be resolved?

In my view, senior management should take more responsibility for ensuring that the service provided meets the need of the most deserving patients.

Current targets are far too blunt an instrument. In Accident and Emergency, no distinction is drawn between the waiting times for genuine emergencies and mere palliative treatment. The same can be said for other nhs targets. I'm sure that this is not a problem confined to the nhs, but one which spreads across the public services.

What are your views?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Re: Complain up, not down

some NHS Manager roles have changed, at one time there were bed managers who dealt with admissions, now they've been replaced by typists who don't have a medical background, they cannot go to cardiac arrest incidents which used to be a bed manager's role because they had medical skills and could organise the arrest team.

The NHS simply isn't run the way it should be imo
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:43 AM

Defibrillators have taken away the personal touch.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Defibrillators have taken away the personal touch.
The personal touch + defib means my OH is lying beside me, not forgetting the marvellous Air Ambulance too.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 08:52 AM

From my limited experience of the NHS in Scotland (particularly in Aberdeenshire), The medical staff are excellent, the nurses are a mixed bunch, but the admin staff couldn't organise a P*ss up in a brewery.

They are the best advertisement around for private medicine!

Complain - who's going to listen?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 09:10 AM

I tend to complain to the person I am having a problem with and make them aware of the problem, but UJ showed me my error and who I should be complaining to and it works ! I still tell the person concerned first though as it feels a bit unfair to complain without giving them a chance to put it right first.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 09:29 AM

The view from an ex civil servant;

To me-I`m going to complain to your superior(veiled threat from bully)

Please do that is your right.

Thinking-you will get no sense from him/her they were promoted to get rid of them it will come back to me and my staff at a level where we actually do things.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Good post Alice. Yes I’m afraid that’s how it’s always been, complaining all the way down to the proverbial kicking of the cat when the only way to get results is to go right to the top, but that’s deliberately made impossible by mountains of red tape and threats.
One tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel is more and more people realise this now and very few actually take their grudge out on the ordinary staff, folks understand now that the rot is all at the top and has to be sorted out up there, in my opinion.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Sad to say Alice but things are no better in the private sector. Management implement ideas which everyone tells them won't work, they spend humungous amounts of money on it and if you criticise you are accused of 'being negative' Then when the plan doesn't work it's quietly dropped.

We have targets and kpi's which are unrealistic, and even if you complain to a manager, they say "well what can I do, I have brought it up before and nothing was changed". Management need to have statistics to prove that things are being done, unfortunately no one seems to mind other than the staff at the bottom, that the job is not being done as well or efficiently as it should be done.

I sympathise with NHS staff, they generally do a great job under very difficult circumstances. Maybe more of the NHS managers should 'Get back to the floor' to see how their management is affecting staff and patients alike.

Sorry I did go on a bit
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
, but the admin staff couldn't organise a P*ss up in a brewery.
I find that quite insulting. I assume you know many admin staff? I'm admin, but I've never organised a piss up in a brewery. Wouldn't be difficult

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top