Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 08:27 PM

Is this just a NY thing ? grrrrrrrr

Well here I am, less than 15 hours on the site and as I warned you, I will be found on this thread a lot !!!

Life in NY is not always easy. It is too crowded and with every color, nationality, religion, sometimes it feels a bit of a Tower of Babel, it is a very us vs them city, sometimes you will have to really work hard to find anybody who speaks English, but I digress. But as I was a foreign language major in Uni back in the early 80's it has given me the opportunity to hear so many diverse languages, which I love, and to literally eat my way around the world. Burmese anyone ? ( It was delicious by the way )

Why is it ( or is this just a general Brooklyn style of rudeness and inconsideration for others ? ) that some people at the supermarket empty their groceries on to the belt and leave the shopping cart right there while you are standing directly in back of it waiting to unload your items ? Then they pay and clear off leaving the cart behind, forcing me to move it, so I can gain access to the belt to unload my groceries ?? grrrrrrrrrrrr

Gripe two : Why is it with some people who either don't have enough money to pay for their items, or change their mind at the last second and want the item voided, or just decide to run back to the shelves while a long line of people are behind them, apologize to the cashier and not to all the people they've just held up ??

Maybe this is just a NY thing, but I tell you, makes me want to get back on the plane to Essex, I never saw such things there !!

Ok, rant over.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Re: Is this just a NY thing ? grrrrrrrr

How long have you been Stateside ?
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 08:45 PM

I am American of Italian descent, but am in a long distance relationship that was inches away from marrage, but fell thru at the last moment with someone from Essex. I lived there for a year from 2007-2008, and was there again in 2009 for 15 weeks. But have been going there since I was a Uni exchange student in 1983 and lived in Leatherhead, Surrey.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

16-01-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
How long have you been Stateside ?

And I love Suffolk by the way - been to Clare on the way to Norfolk, as I love Yarmouth.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:59 PM

It must be a New York thing, here no one leaves a trolley at the check out, the trolley is reloaded to take the shopping out to the car. Personally I always use a basket which is left at the checkout because I tend to shop daily rather than weekly.

I too enjoyed the food in Myanmar (ex Burma) when I was there last year though I don't think it is a patch on Thai, Malaysian or Chinese.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Then they pay and clear off leaving the cart behind, forcing me to move it, so I can gain access to the belt to unload my groceries ?? grrrrrrrrrrrr

Gripe two : Why is it with some people who either don't have enough money to pay for their items, or change their mind at the last second and want the item voided, or just decide to run back to the shelves while a long line of people are behind them, apologize to the cashier and not to all the people they've just held up ??
Hi Tish I have never come across these things and can't imagine anyone just abandoning their trolley in a shop
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:38 AM

Never encountered it in the UK but in France have been behind people on more than one occasion who decide to run and get stuff when they're at the front of the queue and you're just expected to wait, no questions asked! Very rude - never seen a trolley left at the checkout..
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It must be a New York thing, here no one leaves a trolley at the check out, the trolley is reloaded to take the shopping out to the car. Personally I always use a basket which is left at the checkout because I tend to shop daily rather than weekly.

I too enjoyed the food in Myanmar (ex Burma) when I was there last year though I don't think it is a patch on Thai, Malaysian or Chinese.

Ah, a fellow foodie !!!
I have eaten my way around the globe ! I love Thai too. I am fortunate that we have a vegan Thai restaurant here in NY that is delicious, it is called ' Pukk'. I like Indonesian too, as well as Italian, which is my background, Vietnamese, etc. I used to love and eat Mexican food all the time, as Brooklyn is filled with Mexican people, but I got food poisoning at one of their places 2 years ago and it put me off it for life. Took 5 days to recover.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Tish I have never come across these things and can't imagine anyone just abandoning their trolley in a shop
There isn't anything you won't see, hear, eat or experience in NY ! It does have some nice things, I don't want to constantly trash the place of my birth daily. Beautiful old building in Manhattan, nice museums, 37,000 restaurants from every land you can think of, 24/7 transport that is dirt cheap, cheap shopping, low sales tax, etc.

But it has so many negatives. Too dirty, crowded, polarized, impossible rents. It sunk to all time low for me when I was walking down the street and there was a guy right there on the sidewalk next to a tree masturbating !! How lovely. NOT !!!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Trolley at the checkout. No way. They would have had my voice beckoning
them to move it. Say it with a smile. Mind you I don't think I have
seen it here but I think a excuse me I think you have forgotten something might work
As Bruce said we normally put our paid food into the trolley to take it to
the car park.
When I saw your title of this post I thought grrrrrrrr was a chat about the
Rolling Stones as that was the title of their latest CD
Talking food, Thai is great and having half Thai Grandchildren and a
D-in-L from Thailand then yes that is a great food.
Mind you I still love my Yorkshire Puddings, and Stew and Dumplings anytime.
Glad you are enjoying the forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top