Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 07:14 PM

The 11+

I am of that age. Just heard my younger nephew is thinking about leaving London and moving nearer my mum/brother and his in laws.

Seems he is considering sending his children to my old school,not his dad`s school as that is not yet co-ed.

Fine-but the fees!!!

I`m glad I grew up with a county primary and the 11+-we got a way to an education for free.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 12:28 AM

Re: The 11+

Originally Posted by Older git ->

I`m glad I grew up with a county primary and the 11+-we got a way to an education for free.
It was OK if you passed - the grammar school education was good - but if you didn't it could be a very different story.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 12:33 AM

I failed and ended up at a below average secondary school, I wasn't taught algebra which didn't bother me until I found out all other schools were teaching the subject apart from ours. I often wonder what else I missed out on
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Fine-but the fees!!!
Why not if he can afford it one place less for the state to provide.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
It was OK if you passed - the grammar school education was good - but if you didn't it could be a very different story.
I didn't enjoy my grammar school education at all. Far too narrow in focus totally directed at getting you to Uni at any cost with a very limited choice of subjects (and sports).

The teachers were an uninspiring lot (with a couple of notable exceptions) and seemed to be mostly ex commandos still fighting WWII (except one who was a bomber pilot) even the school food was appalling. The only time I enjoyed was the morning and lunch breaks and going home.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day my 'O' levels were over and I walked out of the place for the last time, I have enjoyed every moment of my life since.

(I make an exception for English Lit and physics which I did quite enjoy and the school library which was pretty comprehensive)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->

Yes, that's true Kitty.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 01:39 AM

I can't say anything about the UK now but the NSW education system seems pretty good with a mixture of public and private schools.

My kids all went to a private primary school after which two of them them went to a public High School (each to a different one as it happened) while the youngest went to a private High School about 10kms away. It was their choice which seemed to be determined largely by where their friends went. I can't say that there was much difference in the outcomes.

The private High School had more involvement in the area cultural events eg the 'Schools Spectacular' and were state finalists for years at a time when my son took part. The public High Schools had an amazing range of subjects and sports, my daughter did soccer, canoeing and (to my horror) snooker whereas my son took part in football, cycling and surfing.

The fees were easily affordable even the public schools had some fees though paying them seemed optional.

Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I didn't enjoy my grammar school education at all. Far too narrow in focus totally directed at getting you to Uni at any cost with a very limited choice of subjects (and sports).

The teachers were an uninspiring lot (with a couple of notable exceptions) and seemed to be mostly ex commandos still fighting WWII (except one who was a bomber pilot) even the school food was appalling. The only time I enjoyed was the morning and lunch breaks and going home.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day my 'O' levels were over and I walked out of the place for the last time, I have enjoyed every moment of my life since.

(I make an exception for English Lit and physics which I did quite enjoy and the school library which was pretty comprehensive)
I'm with you, after the 2nd year I hated every minute of Grammar School and just waited for the day I could get out. Would have much preferred the Secondary School, where they did swimming, horse riding, shorthand typing etc. Sport was the only subject I enjoyed the whole time I was there!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 07:17 AM

I enjoyed my Grammar School days, moreso after the second year when we could make our choices of subjects we wished to follow. We had regular educational trips connected with history and geography and language lessons, after school clubs.

There was also discipline which is sadly missing in the schools of today.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 08:30 AM

I went to a Comprehensive with a bad reputation, hats off to all the kids who managed to beat the odds, one has to say, it was an education on many levels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top