Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:29 AM

A grump about a book

A Christmas present from a friend was a book about a Masai policeman in Nairobi, the book is titled "The Sunbird". I very much enjoyed reading this book and according to the blurb there were two more books in this series so I ordered them from Amazon. One has arrived the other is scheduled to arrive on the 19th of this month. Last night I was ready to begin reading the one that has arrived, it is titled "Hour of the Red God". I began reading this book and thought, "hang on, this begins the same as The Sunbird", so a quick skip through and I find itīs the same book ! Further investigation revealed that The Sunbird is the British title, Hour of the Red God is the American title. I am really angry because I have wasted money on a book I already have, not cheap either, I have to pay delivery to Spain. Why on earth do the Americans have to have different titles and why do Amazon put out the "people who have bought this often buy these too", showing the 3 books together, two of which are the same book with different titles?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Re: A grump about a book

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
A Christmas present from a friend was a book about a Masai policeman in Nairobi, the book is titled "The Sunbird". I very much enjoyed reading this book and according to the blurb there were two more books in this series so I ordered them from Amazon. One has arrived the other is scheduled to arrive on the 19th of this month. Last night I was ready to begin reading the one that has arrived, it is titled "Hour of the Red God". I began reading this book and thought, "hang on, this begins the same as The Sunbird", so a quick skip through and I find itīs the same book ! Further investigation revealed that The Sunbird is the British title, Hour of the Red God is the American title. I am really angry because I have wasted money on a book I already have, not cheap either, I have to pay delivery to Spain. Why on earth do the Americans have to have different titles and why do Amazon put out the "people who have bought this often buy these too", showing the 3 books together, two of which are the same book with different titles?
How annoying !
Amazon are very good with returns Loretta - so I would go to orders and click on return ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 11:03 AM

I was just going to say I would contact amazon and explain they have a great returns team. But I understand the grump, I nearly got caught like that myself a few months ago.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 01:47 PM

That's very annoying especially when you don't live in the UK. I buy all my books from the book depository which has free worldwide shipping. And most of the one's I order is when they have a 50% off sale.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 02:54 PM

I would have thought you should get your money and postage back from Amazon as its their mistake why you bought it.
I am sure they will be accommodating to you when they see its their
mistake and not yours. Quite obviously someone there didn't know
the American title either.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I will do as suggested and contact Amazon tomorrow.

I actually posted the wrong title, it is "the Honey Guide" not "The Honey Bird", but it makes no difference, the two books are one and the same.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Thank you all for your replies. I will do as suggested and contact Amazon tomorrow.

I actually posted the wrong title, it is "the Honey Guide" not "The Honey Bird", but it makes no difference, the two books are one and the same.
Should be easy as it has been for us
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 08:29 PM

That really is annoying! Books have a tendency to change their covers, too.

Hope you get your deserved refund.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top