Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Car MOT and my wipers

You may remember me saying my windscreen wipers have a mind of their own, and sometimes work when switched off at the stalk.

Would this be a problem in the MOT? I want to get the problem resolved but if it doesn't happen all the time I can't get a mechanic willing to look at it.

It seems to be worse after it's rained, so maybe I should throw water over the car and then take it?

No, it's not a laughing matter, as the wipers running over a dry windscreen is annoying at the very least, and irritating.

My MoT is due next month.

Ta.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Re: Car MOT and my wipers

Not sure but 'think' its a requirement - if you have a Halfords store they will check them for you for little cost ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
You may remember me saying my windscreen wipers have a mind of their own, and sometimes work when switched off at the stalk.
Would this be a problem in the MOT? I want to get the problem resolved but if it doesn't happen all the time I can't get a mechanic willing to look at it.
It seems to be worse after it's rained, so maybe I should throw water over the car and then take it?
No, it's not a laughing matter, as the wipers running over a dry windscreen is annoying at the very least, and irritating.
My MOT is due next month. Ta.
I've had a similar problem but the opposite stalk - the main beam / dip stalk.

The headlights would not stay in dip mode and kept switching to main beam all the time.

In my case it was worn terminals and it cost me a bit to get it sorted as it comes under the MOT and I think your problem could well be the same - worn terminals.

Wipers do come under MOT inspection and I once had an MOT failure for a worn wiper blade but now I try to keep on top of things that may result in a failure because I have little time in the week to get things rectified as I need my car for work.
In my opinion mechanics carrying out MOT checks on older cars can be a bit too strict as I had a car once where they said my front brake pads needed changing when they'd only been done a month before by an AA-approved garage. stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Wipers are possibly the most neglected things but so important-think about driving in the rain,splash from heavy lorries etc and one`s vision is impaired.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 01:27 PM

I always have the car serviced and MOT'ed at the same time. So possibly do the same and mention about the wipers
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 02:00 PM

The chap I normally have doing my service doesn't deal with electricals, and when I tried the Halford service centre recently, the wipers stopped doing their thang when I was on the way to the appointment! So I had to come back home because they said the fault would have to be showing so they would know where to start to find it.

It's intermittent. My worry is taking it into Nissan, letting them have it awhile and handing me a huge bill.

I will try another garage nearer home so I can walk back.

Thanks folks. Not put my mind at rest but now something else to worry about. Sheeeeeeesh!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Does the MOT garage not do repairs ?
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 03:49 PM

I'm unsure as to the answer to this one. The Mot regulations state that they must work, and if they switch themselves on, they obviously do.

Trouble is, the regulations state that the must work properly. Normally, that means they have to clean the windscreen properly, ie give good visibility when they are working. If the tester was strict, then he could possibly use it as a fail. Unless of course he thinks that they are the automatic type that some modern cars have that sswitch on automatically...

Some BMW cars have this problem, and its easily fixed...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 03:58 PM

As long as the wipers work when switched on it will not fail.
But if he notices that they are not switching off correctly he may pass it, but give you an advice note.

You need to get an auto electrician to check the wiring on the wiper stalk to cure the problem.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
As long as the wipers work when switched on it will not fail.
But if he notices that they are not switching off correctly he may pass it, but give you an advice note.

You need to get an auto electrician to check the wiring on the wiper stalk to cure the problem.
That was my intention, Jimmy, with the Halfords centre, but they wanted the fault to show up. They stopped running half way there, so they wouldn't take it in.

I'll do some investigations tomorrow into other garages and ask them. I've an idea it'll cost me!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top