Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Sign Language

Was reading an article from the Guardian on a young girl who is deaf, she has got a petition going on Facebook as she wants sign language to be taught in schools.
I think this is a good idea - as she says, just doing a daily shop is difficult for her ........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:15 PM

Re: Sign Language

Well we teach other languages many of will never need so I would certainly think this very useful language should be taught as you never know when it will be of help.

Is there a petition not on face book because I would like to sign but am not a member.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:18 PM

Unfortunately not - she should get a good few on there though
Her name is Jade Chapman
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Found her petition on change, here is the link https://www.change.org/p/schools-and...sored_donation
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Was reading an article from the Guardian on a young girl who is deaf, she has got a petition going on Facebook as she wants sign language to be taught in schools.
I think this is a good idea - as she says, just doing a daily shop is difficult for her ........
Good idea.
I don't have a problem but have often thought how useful it might be if people could sign but is there a universal sign language that can overcome different languages ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Good idea.
I don't have a problem but have often thought how useful it might be if people could sign but is there a universal sign language that can overcome different languages ?
No American signing is different to ours and I believe their are at least two ways of signing in this country.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Good idea.
There is one universal sign that overcomes all languges!

Being serious, it would be a good idea to teach it to all. Very useable in a lot of circumstances.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 05:48 PM

It’s a good idea as long as it’s not made compulsory, and children learn much quicker than adults. I had an old deaf and dumb mate (he passed on now God rest him) and he was forever trying to get me to learn sign language, I tried for a while then got to lazy to bother, but we had great conversations in the pub, he was like a light on the old paper pad.
We had compulsory Irish language learning over here when I was a lad and it was a waste of time, everyone hated having to learn it, they stopped pushing it and now everyone wants to learn it, funny old world eh?
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
We had compulsory Irish language learning over here when I was a lad and it was a waste of time, everyone hated having to learn it, they stopped pushing it and now everyone wants to learn it, funny old world eh?
Your mention of having to learn Irish reminds me of something I was told by a posh woman at a party. She said that the best way to stop school kids from smoking was to have a weekly compulsory smoking class. They would soon start bunking off.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Found her petition on change, here is the link https://www.change.org/p/schools-and...sored_donation
Thanks Julie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top