Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Pillow Choice

Do you have a decent pillow or do you struggle to find one ?
I'm tired of buying endless pillows only to wake up in pain as usual.
If a good pillow exists, please let me know
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Re: Pillow Choice

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Do you have a decent pillow or do you struggle to find one ?
I'm tired of buying endless pillows only to wake up in pain as usual.
If a good pillow exists, please let me know
I'm in the same boat Patsy !!

I've bought that many different types of pillow. The odd thing I've found lately is that one pillow may feel ok on one particular night and then darned uncomfortable on another night. Must be me !!

This year I even took one of my favourite pillows with me on holiday, but it didn't leave much room for anything else in the suitcase and there was the weight allowance to consider too !! I still ended up going to a local Continente to buy a cushion as I need two pillows !! I couldn't buy an actual pillow as in Portgul their pillows are like bricks !!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Oh dear - I feel for you, I'm so fed up with it - I think I shall go mad !
I tried a few months back, getting a baby pillow to go underneath, worked OK for a short while, then back to where I was. That's how long I've had this latest pair, about 4 - 5 months.
I'm in a lot of pain today anyway, so need to find a solution to eliminate this problem at least. I'm not optimistic though .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:42 AM

I find a combination of bolster, and 4 different softnesses of pillow pretty much mean I can arrange them in whatever way feels best each night. None are expensive or special just regular hollow fibre ones with pillow protectors on them.
What I do love is a few years ago I was given a silk pillow case which is supposed to help keep your head cool, and I can't sleep on anything else now, it's so much nicer than cotton.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain today Patsy. I have soft pillows, foam pillows, cheap pillows, expensive pillows (well one expensive one !). Lately I use one soft pillow and one foam pillow and some nights I have the foam pillow on top and sometimes I feel the soft pillow is more comfortable. On occasions when my neck is really bad I've found that one pillow is more helpful just for a short while.

I thought I was the only one who had problems with pillows !! I suffer with insomnia too so combined with the pillow problem, I could go up the wall !!
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:48 AM

One problem with pillows is that to get the necessary support, firmness is needed, but softness is needed for comfort. This can be OK when new, but diminishes with use. The only consistent version I´ve found is an inflatable one, which can be inflated to the right level to suit the sleeper, and doesn´t change with use (unless it leaks!). I use it with a normal pillow on top.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
Sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain today Patsy. I have soft pillows, foam pillows, cheap pillows, expensive pillows (well one expensive one !). Lately I use one soft pillow and one foam pillow and some nights I have the foam pillow on top and sometimes I feel the soft pillow is more comfortable. On occasions when my neck is really bad I've found that one pillow is more helpful just for a short while.

I thought I was the only one who had problems with pillows !! I suffer with insomnia too so combined with the pillow problem, I could go up the wall !!
The thing is, you just want to sleep and get away from the pain and you end up in a state because you can't !
I've tried them all - same with mattresses, but then I think - there must be a pillow out there - somewhere, that I've missed !
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire

28-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I find a combination of bolster, and 4 different softnesses of pillow pretty much mean I can arrange them in whatever way feels best each night. None are expensive or special just regular hollow fibre ones with pillow protectors on them.
What I do love is a few years ago I was given a silk pillow case which is supposed to help keep your head cool, and I can't sleep on anything else now, it's so much nicer than cotton.
Getting different combinations of pillow is a great idea Julie. As you say, you need different types depending on how you feel.

I'm also now on a mission to find a silk pillowcase - that could help with the insomnia, if only to give me something to concentrate on and help me try and switch off. Thanks for the tip !!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
One problem with pillows is that to get the necessary support, firmness is needed, but softness is needed for comfort. This can be OK when new, but diminishes with use. The only consistent version I´ve found is an inflatable one, which can be inflated to the right level to suit the sleeper, and doesn´t change with use (unless it leaks!). I use it with a normal pillow on top.
Pleased you have found something to suit you
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Tried the bolster idea - then a slimmer pillow underneath - I just think its a hopeless case, just fed up - tried a silk case too - still hot - I need a new head really, that'll solve it !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top