Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:17 PM

Inventions

There's ride-on mowers, leaf blowers for those who don't want to push a broom, timer settings on cookers and washing machines, even cars that drive themselves - so when will someone invent an iron that pushes itself? A buzzer could sound when the job's done.

Talking of inventions, my new cooker has the knobs at the front now. My old one used to have them on the high back part. Because someone in their wisdom, decided to put them inches from the hot oven and grill, some manufacturers have had problems with the control knobs getting hot or even burning. Those models must have been invented by someone who has never used a cooker in their life!
One salesman showed me a 'lip' thingy that you have to clip on and off to avoid the knobs burning when the grill is being used. What a cheap and tacky way to overcome a design fault. My cooker has a fan which blows out cold air from a vent at the front (nearly blows me off me chair if I'm sitting nearby), and this is another idea to help prevent the knobs from overheating.
Why or why don't they just make heat resistant knobs or stick the bloomin' things somewhere where they don't get hot in the first place.

(There you go Steve, it's not only you who has a moan).
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:30 PM

Re: Inventions

I've never noticed my knobs getting hot Mups !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->

Ah, but does your fan blow on them?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
What is "Hot Mups"?.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There's ride-on mowers, leaf blowers for those who don't want to push a broom, timer settings on cookers and washing machines, even cars that drive themselves - so when will someone invent an iron that pushes itself? A buzzer could sound when the job's done.
As Charles Duell commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark Office is supposed to have said in about 1900, "Everything that can be invented has been invented"

My mother had an iron that pushed itself in the 1960s, well sort of... you fed things into it and it ironed them, though it didn't buzz, it just dropped the item on the floor (or a strategically placed chair). Like most things it was probably invented by an Australian.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 11:44 PM

We have the clip on grill thing, hate it!! - I daren't let my husband use it, the food would be all over the floor, he can't get the hang of it so the tea towel is used instead. I never noticed the handle overheating on my old cooker and I've never known anyone's knobs melt either from overheating!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
We have the clip on grill thing, hate it!! - I daren't let my husband use it, the food would be all over the floor, he can't get the hang of it so the tea towel is used instead. I never noticed the handle overheating on my old cooker and I've never known anyone's knobs melt either from overheating!!!

Tis true cranberry. I saw two re-conditioned ones in a shop, and they both had brown burn stains on their knobs.

(I could hardly write that for laughing)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:30 AM

What did I tell you Mups modern cookers are badly built and rubbish

My old AEG had a sealed double glass bottom oven door, the top door was solid and well insulated.

The new oven doors are not sealed units but have removable glass panels with a plastic bar along the top with a little gap specially designed it seems to let drips and crumbs to fall between the panels

My knobs don't get hot , they get dirty thought ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What did I tell you Mups modern cookers are badly built and rubbish

My old AEG had a sealed double glass bottom oven door, the top door was solid and well insulated.

The new oven doors are not sealed units but have removable glass panels with a plastic bar along the top with a little gap specially designed it seems to let drips and crumbs to fall between the panels

My knobs don't get hot , they get dirty thought ...

I think mine's like that Meg I was wiping the glass door and noticed some water had run down between the two panes. Only thing is, if anything like crumbs or fat did get in between, how are you supposed to clean it out again, or does it stay there and rot??
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think mine's like that Meg I was wiping the glass door and noticed some water had run down between the two panes. Only thing is, if anything like crumbs or fat did get in between, how are you supposed to clean it out again, or does it stay there and rot??
Mups on mine the top bar and glass lift out. It should tell you how to clean it in the manual .

I know it is only a matter of time before I drop a glass panel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top