Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 10:34 AM

How to stop moaning?

My wife tells me I'm getting to be more and more of a grouch.

Thinking about it I know that she's right of course, but despite the time of year, I always find it hard to be all bright and breezy because I remember too much of the bad times from my past.

At work I'm often told I worry too much too so it's all coming at me from all sides.

I'm a born pessimist; I always expect the worst because, quite often, that's what I got so can anyone tell me just how I can get past this and be more what my wife wants?

Believe it or not, this is a serious question as I do suffer from depression. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Re: How to stop moaning?

Steve I was going to say "duck tape" until I read the rest of your post.

Christmas is a difficult time for some, because you can't help looking back. Its worth it to remember Christmas day is only one day. Then you can move on again. Just try and get through the day itself and I'm sure you'll come out unscathed

I like to bear in mind the proverb: to look back is depression. To look forward is anxiety. To stay in the moment is peace. Hope you stay in the moment
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Its easy to be a pessimist - look for the joyful things in life Steve, its the only way to get out of the rut.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Nice proverb, alice76.

It can be hard to put the past in its pigeonhole, stevmk2, but perhaps that is what you need to try to do? Maybe CBT could help?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Steve make that your New Year's Resolution and think of it every time you feel yourself getting into a 'moany mood' ... it may help you.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Steve I was offered counselling but didn't want too at the time ,Ive started to write down my feelings ,getting it down on paper is i think is as good . Perhaps this will help you and when your wife reads it perhaps she will understand the hurt you hold inside ,and how it comes out in day to day life .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Its a good idea Eliza - I did the same then just put it away, I came across it the other day and shredded it, I didn't read it - its in the past where it belongs
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Few things I have found helped with tendency to become depressed, get out side for a walk, somewhere in the countryside is best and get some fresh. Eat well, make sure you get all the vitamins etc you need it's amazing how just changing one or two things can change your mood.
Try to think of one or two things each day that make you feel better about life and keep away from negative people they can be quite toxic and bring even happiest person down.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2014, 11:43 AM

Very good advice Julie
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Steve, buy yourself a special notebook book to write in. Don't get anything black and depressing, get something you are happy with. Maybe you could sketch on the outside or even decorate with small pictures you like, it doesn't matter as long as you are pleased with it.
Each day, note down only the positive things that occur, simple things like you bumped into an old friend, or your wife was pleased about something, you got a horrid job finished, or you made a smashing job of the Christmas decorations! Anything at all, no matter how minor, as long as nothing negative is allowed in that book.
Then when you feel a bit down, have a read through at all the nice things that happen each day that we take for granted or barely notice even, let alone remember.

Someone suggested this idea to me once when I was going through a difficult patch, and it helped me enormously.
It's a simple, inexpensive way to look for the good things and well worth a try. Don't give up.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top