Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 09:47 PM

DNA Testing.

Does anyone know anything about having your DNA tested for finding out your ancestry ? I wouldn't mind having it done but is it a con?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Re: DNA Testing.

Why do you want to know who your forebears are?.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 01:57 AM

there are others ways to check and they are free, I found a lot of info from my local library, the census can give you even more details
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why do you want to know who your forebears are?.
How about "curiosity" Spitty !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

24-12-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
there are others ways to check and they are free, I found a lot of info from my local library, the census can give you even more details
I mean ancestors from 1000's of years ago not 2 or 3 hundreds of years.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
If someone gave you that information, would you Adam N Eve it?.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
DNA Testing.

Does anyone know anything about having your DNA tested for finding out your ancestry ? I wouldn't mind having it done but is it a con?

Alan.
I would lean to any adverts being a con.
I thought you had to have something that your ancestors actually used like a comb/brush (hair strands) of clothes or a body part in a pickled jar perhaps that you keep on your mantle piece for them to actually test against your own dna, ash's are no good by the way. I suppose if you don't mind them opening a crypt or digging up a grave of your ancestors then it may be done probably costing you a small fortune in the long run.
That King Richard fella springs to mind who they found under a car park tarmac not so long ago.
So it can be done.
But at what cost.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Alan.
I would lean to any adverts being a con.
I thought you had to have something that your ancestors actually used like a comb/brush (hair strands) of clothes or a body part in a pickled jar perhaps that you keep on your mantle piece for them to actually test against your own dna, ash's are no good by the way. I suppose if you don't mind them opening a crypt or digging up a grave of your ancestors then it may be done probably costing you a small fortune in the long run.
That King Richard fella springs to mind who they found under a car park tarmac not so long ago.
So it can be done.
But at what cost.
You don't have to go to those lengths .... all that is needed is a sample of your saliva which is obtained by rubbing a swap on the inside of your mouth. I think the cost of analysis is around £150 but you can find out more by looking on one of the genealogy sites such as Ancestry.

The results you received won't be specific, such as your ancestors came from a certain village in Germany or Greece! It will be more like .. your DNA shows that your ancestors originated in the Southern Mediterranean or in Central Europe!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Hi have had my DNA tested plus my Brother and one of my Sons.
Its not a con and I have my mitrochondia and the male line on
my Brother and Sons lines.
Very interesting.
It just depends on how many people you want to go back on it Alan.
I only went back 12 Mothers and 12 Fathers for my men relations.
I paid about £38 for that. If you go back to a 130 Fathers on your
DNA that is about £120.
I will send you a PM Alan with who I used. They are an American
company and kosher. I know where my family came from to
get to the UK which includes Vikings on my Mothers side and from
the East of Africa on my Dads side. My Mums side walked through Macedonia first before Norway and my Dads side after coming out of Saudia Arabia went through Turkey and Greece over to Spain and
came to England that way. Good luck anyone who wants to do the same.

p.s. just read what ZsaZsa said. Yes I did the swab in
the mouth too from the saliva. They send you the kit
and you send it back and it takes about 3 to 4 weeks
to come back with the results. They sent my results
by e mail.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2014, 09:39 AM

I know where my ancesters come from with a maiden name of Moore (known as Moors) they originated in North Africa came to Spain and onto Southern Ireland and then from there spread out to England and America and France. I do have the family tree going back to the 1700s.

Very interesting subject you can get quite intoxicated by all the knowledge you pick up on the way!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top