Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Carol Singers

The times certainly are a changin'. Once upon a time carol singing children were a common sight..and sound..around our towns but these days I suppose its not a safe thing to do. I remember one year I went carol singing alone around the streets of Thornton Heath and pocketed 17/6d ! a small fortune to a boy of ten. But then that was almost sixty five years ago.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Re: Carol Singers

I don't think carol singing seems to be a thing in Scotland, well not in my town. I've never heard anyone saying so. I'd have liked to have experienced it
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 03:52 PM

We used to have a visit from Santa and his elves on a motorised sleigh, courtesy of the Lions Club, and also the Salvation Army Band - but both have been conspicuous by their absence for the last few years. Very sad.

Have not heard a single Carol so far this year.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Not had them round for years, nor Penny for the Guy, or Halloween. Sign of the times im afraid, people just afarid to let their kids out at night. Iused to go out with my Sunday School carol singers very Victorian, i was the token urchin.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 04:14 PM

I have had three children singing twice. I offered them mince pies they didn't want to know then gave them 50p each and then of course a week later they were back again. I couldn't swear that they were the same three but I am pretty sure they were and again they got 50p each. I told them I did not expect to see them again. I know it was only £1.50 a time but if allowed it would add up and being on a pension you cannot afford to give kids money to waste! Am I being hard and should say Bah Humbug?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 04:39 PM

I do like when The Salvation Army come to the hospital to sing carols. They don't seem to have been around this year. I always find it very touching to listen to them singing.
Enfys
South Wales
Enfys is female  Enfys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 05:51 PM

There was a Salvation Army playing in the town centre this morning-lovely to hear them.
When I was doing my nurses training yonks ago we used to wear our cloaks inside out(the red on the outside) and go round the wards singing carols,the patients seem to really enjoy it just as we enjoyed doing it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Now that you mention it EZ I haven't seen any Carol singers around our area so far this year.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

23-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Enfys ->
There was a Salvation Army playing in the town centre this morning-lovely to hear them.
When I was doing my nurses training yonks ago we used to wear our cloaks inside out(the red on the outside) and go round the wards singing carols,the patients seem to really enjoy it just as we enjoyed doing it.

Enfys that sounds lovely .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 06:31 PM

I haven't heard carol singers at the door for at least 15 years and probably longer. I wouldn't answer the door anyway as, these days, being a bloke on your own and handing out money to kids is inherently risky.

When I was in my late teens we used to go in an "official" group from our school, complete with a couple of teachers, lanterns, collection jars and booklets with all the carols in them. We'd find a suitable spot on a street corner or pavement and start singing. Front doors were opened and people would come out to put money in the jars which went to charity. We'd sing two or three carols and then move on. Once I left school that was the last time I sang anything, never mind carols, though it was fun at the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top