Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Seasons ?

Found it quite sad in supermarket they have strawberries and cherries and cucumbers etc They really have lost sight of seasonal fruit and vegetables and younger customers don't really seem to know what they have lost
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Re: Seasons ?

Mainly flavour lost for me Julie, so many of these are forced products and lack the taste of true seasonal fruit and veg.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Hi Julie, I think it's a good thing that you can get all sorts of fruit and veg throughout the year, it's good for a balanced diet. I grow much of my own and store it in my freezer so I too get out of season fruit and veg the whole year round.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Julie, I think it's a good thing that you can get all sorts of fruit and veg throughout the year, it's good for a balanced diet. I grow much of my own and store it in my freezer so I too get out of season fruit and veg the whole year round.
But I bet yours still have flavour, Alan, and that makes the difference.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:41 AM

I have always been a fan of eating foods in season when possible though I do freeze fruit and beans.

Nature has decreed that things which grow together are ready together eg , spring lamb with mint and new potatoes, pork with the autumn Bramley and root vegetables etc.

I wouldn't dream of buying imported strawberries or raspberries in the winter they are tasteless and can't be compared with the english fruit and I look forward to the first soft fruit every summer

I do buy cucumber in the winter, I love it with cream cheese on homemade wholemeal bread.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:46 AM

As so much fruit and veg seems to be picked unripe with the resulting loss of flavour how come I never see a green coconut?.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top