Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Jury service

Got a letter today, summoning me to jury service in February. That'll be my third time, and hubby's never been chosen.

Had a murder trial last time: the accused changed his plea at the last minute, and pleaded guilty to manslaughter. So at least we didn't have to listen to all the gory details, though the photos we were shown were gruesome.

Hopefully nothing too alarming next time!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Re: Jury service

Never been invited.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Surprised at that Deb. I always thought you could only be chosen
twice and then they didn't bother with you after that.
You must be one of the few I think.

I have been once and did two trials which I enjoyed
Luckily they were not a murder.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Rather you than me Deb I got off lightly last time, I just went through the induction then had a week 'on call' where I had to telephone each night and listen for a number.

I was so worried when first chosen because it meant leaving my little dog alone for a long period something she isn't used too.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Didn't have to do it when called on, because I typed the court reports. Suited me!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Did it years ago at Kingston Crown Court, I sat on 3 cases and was an experience completely different from anything else. Would I do it again? not if I didn't have to, Should every elegible person do it ? yes definately, it puts a different perspective on life
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 09:02 PM

I got a letter on xmas eve 2 years ago, which rather spoilt my xmas, that was for Feb but had to have it deferred as I was going to be away at the time, so went in May instead.
I didn't enjoy the experience, if they call you within 2 years of serving, you have the right to refuse, and at 70 you no longer had to do it, which pleased me. However since then I think they have extended the age beyond 70
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 09:06 PM

I was asked twice years ago but since I had a 2year old and no-one to look after her, no nurseries then, I was exempted.. Glad really, I didn't much fancy it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Feb 2014

Chris Grayling, the Justice Secretary, is poised to announce changes to the law which will raise the maximum age for jury service by five years to 75.
Legislation to be unveiled next week will mean thousands more pensioners a year will be required to perform jury duty.
Mr Grayling - who first announced the change last summer - said the decision to raise the age limit was designed to “harness the knowledge and life experience” of older people.
Currently only those aged 18 to 70 can serve. The age limit was last raised in 1988, when it increased from 65.
According to Ministry of Justice figures between 2005 and 2012, an average of 179,000 people in England and Wales undertook jury service annually between 2005 and 2012.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2014, 03:01 PM

I've never been called, but would love it if I was. Hopefully for a nice juicy murder...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top