Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 11:28 PM

trailer (8x4) wheels bit loose so

I decided it was about time I tightened up the wheels on the Ivor Williams trailer which I must have had now for at least 15 years. I had noticed a bit of "play" ie, wobble when holding top and bottom of wheel.
So had a look at a dealer site and to replace both stub axels would be over £250, so sod that. I then went on a search of the internet. First was to get cotter pins which hold a crown nut in place to stop the nut undoing. No real problem there and getting a kit of them is always handy.

The real problem is a spacer washer to pack out between the wheel bearing and the castle nut. I did manage to find one among my "junk" in the workshop so trial fitted it to make sure it was the right size, inside hole and total outside width which came out at 15mm and 35mm respectively but was actually an imperial size one.

Then the fun started. Could I find anything like my pattern steel washer? no chance. Searched the net for ages and the best I could come up with was an M16 washer in stainless steel which is supposed to have 17mm inside hole and 30mm overall size and that was about the closest. Even finding the nearest size chart was a hunt in itself. Amazon to the rescue , so placed an order and hope that the washers are correct.

So everything should arrive in the next few days, fitting is easy, getting the right bits is not.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Re: trailer (8x4) wheels bit loose so

I have two of those handy trolleys that convert to a pull along upright, for carrying large items, or flat bedded, for pushing along on 4 castors.

One of them is a larger version and was an absolute boon a few years ago when I was transferring stuff to a nearby storage unit ( to & from the car). During one trip I lost one of the castors, that is on a single bar that goes through a hole, secured then with nuts and washers. I bought a box of pins that secure other wheels on the smaller trolley, as they also kept coming out. ( was decorating my lounge and had to clear it out totally.)

But do you think I can find the right sized castor anywhere?! No I cannot. So well done you for finding what you needed.

Sometimes, whatever you think is an easily obtained item, turns out to be anything but.

Really missing my trolley, that's in my bedroom awaiting repair!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
fitting is easy, getting the right bits is not.
Yes, and I've had that problem with very large washers in the past. I try to keep any over about 20mm OD and I do have the ability to drill out the inner hole although holding the dam things can be a pain

Squires in Bognor Regis do some large washers 'tho maybe not the very big ones.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Well that is the trailer axel bearings done, total cost £20 . Had I had to buy new bearings cost about £50 and complete new stub axels £127 each needing 2 Plus postage etc. So hopefully that will last for another 10 years.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 11:05 PM

At one time all Holden front stub axles were identical no matter what year or model so virtually every trailer was based on them - a new bearing was either visit to the wreckers for a front hub of any model/year Holden Kingswood or a set of standard bearings from a dealer for a few dollars.

They're still available for less than $18 (£9), makes life so much easier.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top