Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Power!

For the last four days we have had thunderstorms (and more predicted for the next three days)

Don't mind the storms, we needed the rain but the power has gone off three times in the last four days. Today was the shortest cut which only lasted 20 minutes.

One of the reasons given for our increased power bills was the accusation that the power companies were 'gold plating' the pole and wire network by making them a much higher standard than was needed.

What a bunch of lying bastards, now they want to sell off the network I have emailed that gallah the NSW Minister for Energy Anthony Roberts telling him he couldn't run a chook raffle.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Re: Power!

No fun when the electric goes off worst we ever had was when the land beyond our car park slipped down the hill cutting the cables. No power for 18 days as they had to stabilise the slippage before working on it. They brought a generator round to supply some electric but we had to limit what we used to 2 hours a day on a rota. 2 years later it happened again and took half the car park with it ! That was personally expensive as we had to pay for the repairs !
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 02:44 PM

it does beggar belief in this day and age the electric can go off with weather being the cause ..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
it does beggar belief in this day and age the electric can go off with weather being the cause ..
Too true !!
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Agreed!

Is it just me, or does it seem that there are more power cuts now than there used to be when we were young?
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 04:54 PM

When I first came to live in my remote Hungarian village I was so convinced we'd have numerous power cuts throughout the winter due to heavy snow that I stocked up on candles and made sure I had a wood burning stove in my kitchen I could cook on. In the 8 winters I've spent here I can count the number of times the power's been off, on the fingers of one hand ... the longest one only lasted 2 hours! The candles are still in my kitchen cupboard.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Last time i had a power cut i had to watch the telly in the dark.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 05:04 PM

When we first moved to Spain we used to get lots of power cuts, but (everything crossed) we donīt get many at all now. Having said that no doubt we will ! When we lived in Kenya power cuts were the norm, sometimes up to 5 days at a time, then we would be on a rota and often our turn was from midnight to 6 a.m.......very useful.......not. We had a generator but it was only good for lighting and TV really, then one day it somehow or other got on fire, so then no generator. The power situation there was dreadful, so much so that tee shirts were made with "Kenya Paraffin Lamp and Candle Company" printed on them ( KPLC, Kenya Power and Lighting Company). I donīt know how we coped but one way and another we did.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:30 PM

When we were in Erina the other week, the thunder storm was horrendous. Never heard thunder like it in this country. The tv stations went off. I have to say I'm glad we don't have weather like it in this country. The nice weather would be great, but not your thunderstorms
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Today's thunder has just started, meanwhile in Queensland...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top