Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Christmas pots.

We always take a Christmas pot to our parent's grave each year. The cost of these are rising each year.
We were in Morrisons the other day and spotted garden pots containing a small conifer, ivy and three winter flowering plants in a terracotta pot. Cost, just £5.00. A real bargain and likely to last far longer than a Christmas pot. We will be buying potted plants in future instead of fresh flowers too, which last no time at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Re: Christmas pots.

We make a wreath and that costs very little, got told off two years ago when we put little battery driven led lights on it, apparently not suitable in the church yard, we thought Betty would have enjoyed it if she had seen it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:57 AM

A nice gesture from you.
Just wondering if you can put ivy in a graveyard.
Just because of its rampant way of spreading??
Might be wrong but if the graves are tended by the
council you might find it isn't permitted?
They will pull it out and I don't want you getting upset
should that happen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Can't see why a pot would be able to spread, usually needs to be planted in the ground to do that I thought ?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Ivy can plant itself when it hangs over the pot and it grows roots from
the hanging part into the soil. I just mentioned it as I didn't want
mesco to be upset if the caretakers of the cemetery took anything
away.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 12:49 PM

I think taking a pot is a very nice idea Mesco and the one from Morrisons is a bargain.

I used to put flowers outside in our memorial garden and used to get upset because they don't seem to last past a day. I now buy flowers for in the house and go to the memorial garden to let our loved ones know that is what we have done.

We have also planted rose bushes for them which bloom so lovely for quite a bit of the year.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
We always take a Christmas pot to our parent's grave each year. The cost of these are rising each year.
We were in Morrisons the other day and spotted garden pots containing a small conifer, ivy and three winter flowering plants in a terracotta pot. Cost, just £5.00. A real bargain and likely to last far longer than a Christmas pot. We will be buying potted plants in future instead of fresh flowers too, which last no time at all.
A lovely gesture. Morrisons plants and pots are so good value.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
A nice gesture from you.
Just wondering if you can put ivy in a graveyard.
Just because of its rampant way of spreading??
Might be wrong but if the graves are tended by the
council you might find it isn't permitted?
They will pull it out and I don't want you getting upset
should that happen.
Thank you, I hadn't thought about that. But the pots were placed in the garden of remembrance and there is no ground for them to take root in but I will keep my eye on things non the less and make sure the next pots don't contain any ivy.
mesco m
manchester

04-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I think taking a pot is a very nice idea Mesco and the one from Morrisons is a bargain.

I used to put flowers outside in our memorial garden and used to get upset because they don't seem to last past a day. I now buy flowers for in the house and go to the memorial garden to let our loved ones know that is what we have done.

We have also planted rose bushes for them which bloom so lovely for quite a bit of the year.
That's nice and the flowers will be a constant reminder. We have a rose bush which belonged to my father in law and it's over fifty years old.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 12:39 PM

That IS a bargain, and I might consider something like that, if I have time to visit my own parents' plot. Mum's birthday is the day I nip off to the Lake District.

Yes, Morrisons are always good value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top