Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 01:17 AM

School Nativites

What do you think about schools changing the traditional nativity plays so much now?
Apparently a lot of schools are trying to modernise the story by bringing in nurses and scanners to scan Mary, footballers, and even rappers singing would you believe! What the 'eck have footballers and rappers got to do with that age old story!

Personally I think its awful, because if you believe in it as an historical event, how on earth can these teachers change history? They couldn't alter any other historical events to suit themselves so why this one? How can the children ever learn the story if its not the traditional story anymore?

You perhaps won't agree with me on this, perhaps I'm doing me Mrs. Meldrew bit again!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 01:25 AM

Re: School Nativites

I prefer the original, real nativity. When they start singing Little Donkey, it's lump in the throat time for me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I prefer the original, real nativity. When they start singing Little Donkey, it's lump in the throat time for me.
They sang 'Little Donkey' at Jesus's birth? Wow, I didn't know that, I am surprised my bible didn't mention it and even more surprised that it never caught on - every baby should have Little Donkey sang to them at birth, doesn't seem fair somehow.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 07:24 AM

I think it's disgusting. I don't have children or grandchildren (obviously!) but if I was at a Nativity and some rapper appeared I'd walk out and take my child with me. It won't be long before the very word Christmas will be changed to Wintermass or some such abomination. I despair, I really do.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 08:03 AM

I so looked forward as a child to being in the Sunday School Nativity play. A chance to don my dressing gown and tea towel about my noggin.

These sound more like pantomimes, and will please the PC brigade.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They sang 'Little Donkey' at Jesus's birth? Wow, I didn't know that, I am surprised my bible didn't mention it and even more surprised that it never caught on - every baby should have Little Donkey sang to them at birth, doesn't seem fair somehow.
Wasn't at the birth of Jesus, so couldn't tell you mate.

Any nativity I've been to they have sung Little Donkey, not rapped it . Every nativity, and I've been to a lot!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Our local primary school has not done a nativity play of any kind for the last 3 or 4 years - they don't want to 'offend other religions' so they just do a panto instead. I think this is total rubbish and it makes me very cross.

1) I have yet to hear anyone of any 'other religion' complain about a school nativity play.

2) Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, and Muslim festivals are celebrated and respected - so why not a Christian one in what is still a Christian country?

3) It is those who try to stop it that create racial discontent in the first place.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=Silver Tabby;569249]Our local primary school has not done a nativity play of any kind for the last 3 or 4 years - they don't want to 'offend other religions' so they just do a panto instead. I think this is total rubbish and it makes me very cross.

3) It is those who try to stop it that create racial discontent in the first place.[/
QUOTE]

I agree ST, that seems all wrong to me as well, and sad too. Plus our kids will miss out on the story forever.
I bet if we lived in another country, they wouldn't change their traditional customs for the sake of us lot!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Ours is very traditional, and the little Muslim children join in. Why would it offend them ? they believe Jesus is a prophet so nothing stops them celebrating his birth. Most of them celebrate Christmas anyway. So who has deemed it offensive ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 10:27 AM

I used to enjoy watching my grandchildren perform in their school Nativity plays when they were in the Infants school. I always found it moving and they sang traditional Christmas carols .... no Little Donkey in their plays

In the middle school it all changed to more slapstick plays which I didn't really enjoy at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top