Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Out With Macs!

I'm trying to get 'her' to flog all the Macs in this house. Damn things are so annoying. Never seen such nonsense. Installing a program is so silly it beggars belief. You can get a cracking gaming computer with a 27inch screen for £5-600 which will more than supplant any advantage of having a Mac.

Macs are just being different for the sake of it lets face it. The sensible way for computers to work is how the PC works so they are stuck with finding ways to carry out similar tasks with an inferior method.

Nothing seems to work on the damn Mac with regard to games etc, or it is an absolutely enormous task that involves wrestling with all sorts of bonkers settings.

Enough is enough I say to all you Mac users. Ditch the damn things and become sensible.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Re: Out With Macs!

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Nothing seems to work on the damn Mac with regard to games etc.
They are evidently for people with more than one braincell ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Wish I could afford a Mac...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 04:21 PM

I would have nothing other than a Mac, nothing better

Just be sure you look for a game that displays Mac or Windows/Mac on the casing
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 04:23 PM

With your knowledge of computers Mark you should know what you’re on about, I’m afraid I started with the mac and it looks like I’ll finish with the mac, beggars can’t be choosers and you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, anyway when you get older your not so fond of games. The Apple gimmick of saying you have to pay dear for the best is wearing thin now I think, as you say there are better alternatives out there today.
Charging 36 euros for an adapter to connect to a screen for my Mac mini (that’s what they wanted but I got one online for 5 euros) is way over the top, the thing is only 5” long and made in China, probably cost 1 euro to produce.
Slagging off Apple is one of the seven deadly sins as we know. I think Apple has overplayed their hand and had it all their own way for too long. My son tells me the new round mac pro is a heap of expensive crap @ over 4,000 euros, to be avoided at all costs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Never owned a Mac, cant see the point of a Shower Proof PC.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think Apple has overplayed their hand and had it all their own way for too long. My son tells me the new round mac pro is a heap of expensive crap @ over 4,000 euros, to be avoided at all costs.
I currently use a 27 inch iMac ... (my late OH was a Graphic Designer). The screen on this has always been a bit of a problem for me.
It looks very snazzy BUT, it's kind of shiny; which means reflections can be a real nuisance when I'm photo restoring.

My old iMac (G5) has the usual non-shiny screen, which I much prefer but it's only abt 21 inches
Dunno if they've returned to a matte screen with the later models ?

ho hummmmmm ...
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 08:19 PM

i have both,a home built gaming box and a 5tr old imac for graphics,3d rendering and cad stuff,just hobby stuff mainly,bike design that sort of thing.

Pc gets most use as its designed for all the latest games etc and of course can be upgraded quite cheaply.
The mac is ok for what it is,but i understand that the vfm just isnt comparable,its lot of money for a relatively unsupported/locked down software wise, computer system.

Its good that both exist though as choice is needed to continue advancement in computing,if there was only windows pc we'd be stuck with whatever microsoft deemed us worthy of having and it would probably be worse than what we have now.

The latest macs are really starting to kick arse now and while still a lot of money are actually paving the way to the future of computing etc.

Microsoft and linux etc seem to have run out of puff at the moment and seem to have lost any sort of direction,which is a shame as like i say, they are my main rigs still.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 09:34 AM

I've always considered a Mac to be a very expensive piece of kit, and not my cup o tea. Sorry to all you Mac lovers everywhere, but I'll stick with a Windows pc.

But it is up to 'her' what she prefers in the house, surely? (And who are you calling Shirley?!!!!). Can't you compromise and get another pc for your use there and leave 'her' to enjoy 'her' choice? Or are we talking 'that is going too extreme and an un-necessary expense?'
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Can't you compromise and get another pc for your use there and leave 'her' to enjoy 'her' choice?
WOT ????
You should see the state of my dining room table

2 PCs, 2 monitors, earphones, speakers, cables ... and ... all manner of STUFF
There's another PC connected to my telly and there are boxes of 'things' on the floor. Then there are the 2 servers on another table plus wires everywhere.

My macs and I are up here in my computer room and I do NOT need another computer in here thank you

Late OH always had Macs so that's what I'm using.

I rest my case
erm .... well I would if I had somewhere to put it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top