Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:09 AM

Peaceful Place to visit

I find graveyards very peaceful and interesting places, this is Arnos Vale cemetery in Bristol, it was a lovely atmospheric misty morning.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:20 AM

Re: Peaceful Place to visit

That brings back memories for me Twiz, my MIL is buried in Arnos Vale...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:29 AM

It really is a lovely place! Still quite overgrown in places, but that adds to it. I didn't walk very far, so hoping to go back one evening if it's open. A Steampunk friend does "Victorian Surgery" talks there sometimes.

I wonder if there are any plots left?
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

02-12-2014, 12:42 AM

I've always found graveyards to be peaceful places. For me, they are a place to just relax and get away from the stress of everyday. I'll just find a comfortable spot and sit a while.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
It really is a lovely place! Still quite overgrown in places, but that adds to it. I didn't walk very far, so hoping to go back one evening if it's open. A Steampunk friend does "Victorian Surgery" talks there sometimes.

I wonder if there are any plots left?
According to their site, the cemetery closes at 4.30pm during the winter months...

http://www.arnosvale.org.uk/site-info/55-opening-times
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Fabulous place, great for wildlife with all that mature foliage.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Whenever we went out with my aunt and uncle she used to drag us round all the graveyards looking at the readable inscriptions, so I avoid them now! But daughter has just moved into a room in London which backs onto Kensal Rise cemetery and finds it wonderful - it's beautifully leafy and green, she can boast that she has Thackeray and Trollope for neighbours and it provides a nice barrier between her and Wormwood Scrubs!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 10:50 AM

I agree - lovely
But oooer - who's the phantom lady in fur coat .........
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:55 PM

When we were kids my dad was always wandering around graveyards, reading the inscriptions on them. I could never understand why.

Now guess what you can usually find me wandering around graveyards reading the inscriptions. (if you can)

Do you think it is an age thing.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:58 PM

I love graveyards and find them very peaceful and not at all scary, like some people seem to do.
I just like peaceful places and one of my very favourites is St. Conan's Kirk, Lochawe. I've been so many times and love it. The scenery from the back door is spectacular.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top