Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Culture Clash - or ignorance?

In Dubai it is illegal to have sex outside marriage and to drink alcohol outside licenced premises. They don`t hide the fact. It`s their law.
So...a british woman went with a male friend to a hotel in Dubai, got falling down drunk and passed out in the Ladies. Where she was found and raped.
She went to the police to report the rape...and got arrested for having sex outside marriage (with the male friend) and getting drunk in public.
Now - hopefully the rape is being investigated, but I was startled by the tone of reporting in British papers - who all seemed atonished at the reaction.
If we ask that foreigners respect our ways, isn`t it reasonable that we do the same?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Re: Culture Clash - or ignorance?

Just one of the reasons I would avoid such 'backward' countries. They may be rich, but imo are one of the most backward countries around! They've even be known arrest women for showing their arms!

But with regards to what you said, yes, people should take heed of the laws of countries they go to - or else they may find themselves in an unpleasant situation!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 04:18 PM

I feel an `old git` responce forming----if folk want to go abroad then they should understand the customs of that country and not bleat if they fall foul of them.

Likewise those who come here -some bloody foreigners just refuse to go out at night and get pissed before throwing up all over the place and kicking in bus shelters
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I feel an `old git` responce forming----if folk want to go abroad then they should understand the customs of that country and not bleat if they fall foul of them.

Likewise those who come here -some bloody foreigners just refuse to go out at night and get pissed before throwing up all over the place and kicking in bus shelters
No - they seem to manage it round here!
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 08:27 PM

I fully agree that if you visit another country then you abide by their laws and their way of life. And if you step out of line, don't moan about the punishment metered out.

It is your fault, nobody elses.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 03:47 AM

When in Rome .... they have many outlandish backward customs, but it only makes sense to be careful to observe them or you're in a world of trouble.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 07:40 AM

I agree with most of what's been already said, . . the laws, especially Islamic laws, are 1,500 years behind ours, . . don't go to these countries, . . it's as simple as that.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Yes, when in other countries, abide by their laws and don't expect the soft punishments we get here when breaking them. We're all conditioned to expect 'rights' and soft treatment when breaking laws in UK and it must come as a great shock when this isn't practised elsewhere. I'd be very careful keep on the straight and narrow when abroad.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 08:15 PM

I have worked in Saudi Arabia on three contracts lasting nearly four years, I always observed the laws while I was there.

One day I had to go to the airport, I parked in the car park and as I got out I observed that someone had left their brief case on the roof of their car, strange but it could happen if rushing to meet someone or whatever.

Anyway, I attended my business meeting, and about three hours latter I returned to my car and the briefcase was still sitting on the roof of the car next to mine, untouched!!

Do you think that could ever happen in UK ?????????
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Do you think that could ever happen in UK ?????????
No, nobody'd be that stupid to not notice where their briefcase has been for the last 3 hours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top