Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

26-11-2014, 01:26 AM

Second-hand clothing

I love to shop the thrift and charity shops for gently worn clothing. I inspect the items thoroughly for rips or stains, and have the items laundered or cleaned before I use them. On my best days I find ladies suits for dirt cheap compared to retail. If I'm really lucky, I find the blouses, handbags, and assorted accessories to complete a really smart outfit. Anyone else a fan of this kind of shopping?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Re: Second-hand clothing

I absolutely love charity shops! I've been going to them for years now and have had some wonderful bargains. Shoes, handbags, clothes, furniture, you name it. I won't buy from department stores any more unless I absolutely have no choice. I volunteer at one, and you wouldn't believe some of the items people donate. I just don't understand the snobby attitude of some people towards these little gems of shops.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 07:47 AM

I especially love browsing charity shops when on holiday
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

26-11-2014, 09:47 AM

I donate a lot of stuff to charity shops, but would never in a million years consider buying second hand clothing from them. I would hate to wear anything worn by a stranger.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by comeandgo ->
I donate a lot of stuff to charity shops, but would never in a million years consider buying second hand clothing from them. I would hate to wear anything worn by a stranger.
Not everyone has the money to make that choice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Not charity shops but most of my clothes are purchased from ebay since I retired , only my underwear comes from a shop.

Latest purchase was a 'new' unworn John Lewis hooded navy blue raincoat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh yes I make most of my clothes but the material is often from second hand clothes - ebay or charity shops. Remake, upcycle, change slightly. Only things I buy new are knickers and bras. Never occurs to me to buy a new handbag, so many are given to charity shops.

Originally started because of cost but if I had millions I think I would still do it now because the fun and achievement of using something someone else hasn't had the insight to upcycle is really quite nice.

Last thing I bought was a beautiful grey shawl which had nothing wrong with it for £2.50 and some pillow cases I turned into a skirt, belt and head band for Grace all for 50p she loves her outfit.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Not everyone has the money to make that choice.
They could always go to Primark!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
They could always go to Primark!
I have only been in there once can't say I was impressed with the range of sizes or quality. Buying second hand we have some really good quality stuff from clothing to furniture and carpets. I couldn't afford the lovely shawl even in primark (they wouldn't stock it IMO) but second hand I got a bargain.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 11:16 AM

I often have a wander around a charity shop. I used to live in them when I was young, poor and had two kids to look after on a pittance. They
came in very handy for me. I don't buy as much nowadays but I love
a bargain so do have a look for anything that looks good.
The ones that now do furniture have some really good stuff and it all
goes to charity so why not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top