Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Fed up and looking for an Estate Agent !

Well - today I am trying to summon up the energy to consider moving. Much as I love living here, the atmosphere/environment/topography is gradually being destroyed. First, we had to have a 'shopping complex' with all the usual tacky places - McDonald's, Starbucks, pizza hut, asda, poundland etc., Followed by a sports complex that is hardly used.

Then it was announced that Barratt Housing had bought the fields at the top of our road. They are now in the process of building 100 of their horrid houses there.

The last straw arrived in the mail yesterday. A letter from the Council inviting us to an exhibition of their latest project. It seems we are to have a new 8,000 seat sports stadium, gymnasium/health studio, Olympic standard swimming pool, dance studio, restaurants, more shops and a multi-screen cinema!

I moved out here to be away from the rat race - now it seems the rats are following!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Re: Fed up and looking for an Estate Agent !

Although it's stressful to move ST, don't stay where you're not happy. Life's too short and you have to be comfortable where you live.

We had a conversation with a group of older friends the other day and the most important thing for them is living near a hospital. Definitely something to think about, although we do have lots of hospitals in the UK.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well - today I am trying to summon up the energy to consider moving. Much as I love living here, the atmosphere/environment/topography is gradually being destroyed. First, we had to have a 'shopping complex' with all the usual tacky places - McDonald's, Starbucks, pizza hut, asda, poundland etc., Followed by a sports complex that is hardly used.

Then it was announced that Barratt Housing had bought the fields at the top of our road. They are now in the process of building 100 of their horrid houses there.

The last straw arrived in the mail yesterday. A letter from the Council inviting us to an exhibition of their latest project. It seems we are to have a new 8,000 seat sports stadium, gymnasium/health studio, Olympic standard swimming pool, dance studio, restaurants, more shops and a multi-screen cinema!

I moved out here to be away from the rat race - now it seems the rats are following!

That's the way it will be all over eventually, we are too small to house all that need housing and all that goes with it - Hope you find a nice peaceful place, while we still have them .......
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Moving is stressful-tell me!. I reckon it will take me another 4-6 months to make this little place ` a home` But do I regret it?-no way.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 11:22 AM

I can understand your frustration Silver, all you liked in the area is slipping away, time to go before it’s too late, you don’t need all that hassle and don’t put up with it if you don’t have to, I realise it’s a tough decision but muster up the courage and seek out somewhere where you’ll be happy, whatever you do I wish you the best of luck.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Before moving out of a city, we used to live right on the outskirts, it was my playground, the fields, woods etc. A bypass was built circa 1972, to ease traffic problems in a small town 5 miles away. Developers saw this road as a new natural boundary for the start of the Green Belt, and mid-late 70s built 1500 homes on the fields. in later years, local traffic became an issue so a local relief road was built, isolating another chunk of Green Belt, plans are now afoot to build 5000 homes, to which the residents on the original Green Belt development are up in arms about, I still remember the fields their houses were built on, bloody Nimby's.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 12:53 PM

This sort of problem is so frustrating, but I think it will eventually happen to us wherever we move to. The government keep saying they've got to build more and more 'affordable' housing, and they're being built in their thousands all over the place. Even if we moved somewhere really remote and isolated, eventually someone will want to build, and perhaps its not a good idea to be too remote at our age anyway.
Losing so many fields and agricultural land bothers me, partly because of the destruction of wildlife which will eventually have no where to go, (hence so many foxes in towns nowadays), but where will our food be grown? It will either be imported foreign stuff, or our stomachs will have to adapt to living on pellets and dried food in the future.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 05:51 PM

ST I empathise I am in a similar position having discovered there are a number of developments proposed very closed to where I live some already have the go ahead. I am not going to rush into doing anything though instead I am getting the house in order with decorating and replacing carpets.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This sort of problem is so frustrating, but I think it will eventually happen to us wherever we move to. The government keep saying they've got to build more and more 'affordable' housing, and they're being built in their thousands all over the place. Even if we moved somewhere really remote and isolated, eventually someone will want to build, and perhaps its not a good idea to be too remote at our age anyway.
Losing so many fields and agricultural land bothers me, partly because of the destruction of wildlife which will eventually have no where to go, (hence so many foxes in towns nowadays), but where will our food be grown? It will either be imported foreign stuff, or our stomachs will have to adapt to living on pellets and dried food in the future.

I was going to write something in a similar vein, after reading about many houses planned on a farmer's field. As you say, the rat race will follow us wherever we go.

A sad indictment of our times.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top