Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Driving on Left or Right

Why do we, and other countries, drive on the left and others on the right?

How did it first originate and how it was decided which countries drove where?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Re: Driving on Left or Right

What a great question - now why ?...... ponder, ponder ........
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Dead easy answer...

Its basically because most people are right handed. I shall explain...

Back in the days of people riding about on horseback, a sword would normally be used in the right hand. Riding on the left meant that it was easier to defend oneself if attacked by an oncoming horseman. ie, right hand to right hand fighting. Its also the reason we get on a horse from the left. That was the safe kerb side, even if they might not have had kerbs back then.

The french claim to have come up with the idea of driving (riding as it was then) on the right around the time of their revolution because their country was "safe." As usual though, that a french falsehood...

I do so hope this answer has not spoiled what could be a fun thread!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 04:13 PM

We all drive on the same side, just in opposite directions.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We all drive on the same side, just in opposite directions.
Oh - that's a good un
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Dead easy answer...

Its basically because most people are right handed. I shall explain...

Back in the days of people riding about on horseback, a sword would normally be used in the right hand. Riding on the left meant that it was easier to defend oneself if attacked by an oncoming horseman. ie, right hand to right hand fighting. Its also the reason we get on a horse from the left. That was the safe kerb side, even if they might not have had kerbs back then.

The french claim to have come up with the idea of driving (riding as it was then) on the right around the time of their revolution because their country was "safe." As usual though, that a french falsehood...

I do so hope this answer has not spoiled what could be a fun thread!
Trust the French to be different
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 04:43 PM

I thought that was the explanation FenderBender (do you bend guitars? lol) but that takes care of the UK and France BUT......... all the other countries in the world, WHO decided and WHY?
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Trust the French to be different
Only said they claim that. The claim is, in reality a load of "merde de taureau francais!"

The french language, as you may have guessed after reading that, is not my strongpoint!

Edit: Just a thought, but if one drives on the same side, does it not wear the doors out on that side quickly?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Only said they claim that. The claim is, in reality a load of "merde de taureau francais!"

The french language, as you may have guessed after reading that, is not my strongpoint!
Mange tut - mange tut !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-11-2014, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Fender Bender;564173]Only said they claim that. The claim is, in reality a load of "merde de taureau francais!"

Edit: Just a thought, but if one drives on the same side, does it not wear the doors out on that side quickly?[/QUOTE]

Oooo - its getting very complicated - best get a bike !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top