Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 11:59 PM

A bridge too far?

So, it seems a £175million "Garden Bridge" over the Thames in London has been approved by Lambeth council.
I have seen a sketch of this and it does look quite amazing. It will have 5 gardens, by Chelsea flower show designer Dan Pearson, all linked together by a figure of eight pathway.
The idea of the project is "to create new and extraordinary views of London framed by nature".
If full funding can be found, work on the 370metre bridge could start next year. The government has pledged £90million.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but did we really ought to be spending such a huge amount of money on a project like this if we are still in debt?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Re: A bridge too far?

Use the money to repeal the so-called "bedroom tax".
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Use the money to repeal the so-called "bedroom tax".
Exactly. The bedroom tax is a disgrace.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Completely typical of lambeth council twits and yahoos im afraid.
they upped the poll tax,cleared out the homeless,brought in the yuppies and take great delight in spending other peoples money to fund their own extravagances.

And theyve just got away with it again,another daft idea whilst the people who pay hand over mouth continue to bend over and take it.

The mindless public acceptance of this crass p!$$taking by the powers that be,whilst the country as a whole is floundering, is astounding,any other country would have had these nobs out on their ear years ago.

Next year itll be sold to an arab for a £1 just the like that dome was.
and we'll continue to sit there and take it,continue to pay their prvate taxes and itll never end.
Insanity prevails.

Hmm,good way to start my friday.

God help anybody who goes for MY parking space this morning.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 08:01 AM

Yes, build the bridge, never believed throwing cash into the coffers changes anything, may as well see a legacy.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 10:13 AM

What I'd like to know is...just HOW do they come up with that sort of figure! Is everything (materials and labour) so expensive?!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 10:19 AM

I think this is a brilliant idea only thing bothers me about it is why London ? why not other cities ? there is life outside London !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think this is a brilliant idea only thing bothers me about it is why London ? why not other cities ? there is life outside London !

Presumably because most tourists head for London.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Presumably because most tourists head for London.
Yes but if they sited some of these things else where perhaps we could all share in the tourism and even see them ourselves.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So, it seems a £175million "Garden Bridge" over the Thames in London has been approved by Lambeth council.
I have seen a sketch of this and it does look quite amazing. It will have 5 gardens, by Chelsea flower show designer Dan Pearson, all linked together by a figure of eight pathway.
The idea of the project is "to create new and extraordinary views of London framed by nature".
If full funding can be found, work on the 370metre bridge could start next year. The government has pledged £90million.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but did we really ought to be spending such a huge amount of money on a project like this if we are still in debt?
A disgrace , that amount of money could be put to far better use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top