Join for free
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Museum of Fire in Edinburgh

I have walked past this building for years not knowing exactly what it was and yesterday decided to investigate it. I got a guided tour from a retired fireman who works there on a voluntary basis. The engines and equipment date back as far as 1804 and are maintained to a very high standard. My only problem was the lighting which was over bright and the lack of space to stand back and get a full shot in, however here they are.

A four man hand pump.

The telephone exchange.

Shining brass.

One of the oldest.

All together.

Breathing apperatus.

Rescue blanket, made of strong canvas.

The most modern one on show.

Have a look at the web site. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Re: Museum of Fire in Edinburgh

Sounds like the Penrith Museum of Fire in the old Penrith Power House.

Well worth a visit and a good day out. Also staffed by ex firies who give real hands on experience. "A visit by a fire truck is your worst nightmare, they ruin all your possessions with water and pull down your ceiling"
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Oh, so lovely to see - thank goodness these things are kept, I bet young and old folk just love this place.
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sounds like the Penrith Museum of Fire in the old Penrith Power House.

Well worth a visit and a good day out. Also staffed by ex firies who give real hands on experience. "A visit by a fire truck is your worst nightmare, they ruin all your possessions with water and pull down your ceiling"
I had a look at your museum and yes it's much the same. It's good to have such information about the past.
braveheart
Edinburgh

19-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Oh, so lovely to see - thank goodness these things are kept, I bet young and old folk just love this place.
It's definately worth a visit.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by braveheart ->
It's definately worth a visit.
Must remember that next time I'm in Edinburgh!
braveheart
Edinburgh

19-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Must remember that next time I'm in Edinburgh!
Best to check in advance as it only opens occasionaly.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top