Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Politics - Smolitics .........

Its beyond me most times, so can someone explain what I heard this morning, which was .......
Even if UKIP get millions of votes, they will only get around 10 seats because of our political system - but Cameron is extremely worried about this by-election ........
Well why is he, I ask meself ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Re: Politics - Smolitics .........

Re the first bit, it is because we don't have proportional representation. Which as I understand it means that big constituencies have a higher number of votes but still only represent one seat, so in theory there could be lots of UKIP votes but if the UKIP candidate doesn't win the seat in that constituency they achieve nothing.
Does that make sense?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Oh, and I guess Cameron is worried because UKIP votes will take away Tory votes even if UKIP don't win the seats. That might give Labour or other parties the advantage.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Another anomoly is that Labour can win more seats with less votes than the conservatives because of the disparity in the constituency sizes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=orangutan;562102]Re the first bit, it is because we don't have proportional representation. Which as I understand it means that big constituencies have a higher number of votes but still only represent one seat, so in theory there could be lots of UKIP votes but if the UKIP candidate doesn't win the seat in that constituency they achieve nothing.
Does that make sense?[/QUOTE]

YES !! I've got it, still needed a bit of help from Hubs, who got your drift sooner than me - but I got there and all is clear now - at last !
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 03:18 PM

There has not been much about this by election in the press, if UKIP win there will be more defections I think.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
There has not been much about this by election in the press, if UKIP win there will be more defections I think.
The Cons are doing their best to dissuade voters from UKIP, even saying house prices will go down if they get in !
Oh you gotta laugh
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2014, 03:29 PM

I don't understand why, in the general election, we can't vote for a party that hasn't got an MP in your constituency, we're voting for the governing party not local (at least I think that's what happens). Why can't all the parties form a government together, that would stop all the stupid arguments in PMQ's. and then they could spend valuable time & hot air sorting things out! Then we could vote for a prime minister separately, the best man for the job.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I don't understand why, in the general election, we can't vote for a party that hasn't got an MP in your constituency, we're voting for the governing party not local (at least I think that's what happens). Why can't all the parties form a government together, that would stop all the stupid arguments in PMQ's. and then they could spend valuable time & hot air sorting things out! Then we could vote for a prime minister separately, the best man for the job.
Exactly how I feel Twiz - would be good ....... Just vote for who you want as prime minister ........
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 08:23 AM

UKIP has won another seat, pity they are splinter Tories.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top