Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Remembrance Day

It is Remembrance Day - the 11th of the 11th. This morning I am going to Figtree RSL* Bowling Club for lunch. It is not such an important commemoration day here, that is reserved for ANZAC Day in April, but it is a day for quiet reflection remembering those who have died and those who are still suffering because of war and conflict.

The sale of poppies are raising funds to assist the families of current and former members of the defence force who are in need.

Today the Roll of Honour at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra is updated with the latest casualties of war. It is a sombre time.

RSL = Returned Servicemans League

How will you be spending Remembrance Day?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Re: Remembrance Day

Will pop up to the school just before 11am as they want to observe the silence but need a few helping hands to look after the little ones who won't be observing it (one little boy with a disability is particularly challenging in quiet moments.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Went shopping this morning and although I'd already bought me poppy - there was a lovely stand there and a magnificent looking man in WW1 uniform, aged around 70 - he looked wonderful. I chatted to him and bought a metal poppy - made my day to meet him
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Went shopping this morning and although I'd already bought me poppy - there was a lovely stand there and a magnificent looking man in WW1 uniform, aged around 70 - he looked wonderful. I chatted to him and bought a metal poppy - made my day to meet him
Some of the new poppies are lovely I bought a pattern and knitted some all money went to the cause and I sold 5 which I donated the money to them too.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some of the new poppies are lovely I bought a pattern and knitted some all money went to the cause and I sold 5 which I donated the money to them too.
What a fab idea - easier to pin on too
I was pleased to see the metal one I got today, as that's easier too, always lost the others .........
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is Remembrance Day - the 11th of the 11th...a day for quiet reflection remembering those who have died and those who are still suffering because of war and conflict.
Excellently put, Bruce. All to often, those that are still suffering due to war and conflict are those that are forgotten.

I hope that this is one dream that will come true....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINx387XDsY
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Excellently put, Bruce. All to often, those that are still suffering due to war and conflict are those that are forgotten.
I hope that this is one dream that will come true....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINx387XDsY
I hope they are not forgotten .......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top