Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

09-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Does anyone else have dual nationality?

In 2008, just for fun and knowing it would wind my Mother up, I got Irish citizenship to run alongside my British one. You can do that if you had a grandparent who was Irish. My baby sister had already got it, and had all the documents needed. I only had to hand over the small sum of £88 and I was an Irish citizen. I won't do anything with it though. Neither my sister or I did tell our English (poor woman ) mother, in the end, however tempting it was to rub her nose in it. She didn't like the Irish.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 06:18 PM

Re: Does anyone else have dual nationality?

Only in the sense I was born a Cockney Londoner with Irish parents and wouldn't change that for anything, except maybe the other way around
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 06:32 PM

My son who lives in Germany took on German nationality last year. He was concerned that, if England came out of the EEC, he might be kicked out of Germany.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

09-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
My son who lives in Germany took on German nationality last year. He was concerned that, if England came out of the EEC, he might be kicked out of Germany.
We have a British friend, living in Holland, who is concerned about that too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 06:40 PM

I have dual nationality. I was born in Ireland and my mother's family are all Irish, so I mainly think of myself as Irish and travel on an Irish passport - but my father was English which entitles me to British citizenship as well.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Not quite, but maybe one day. I'm British. An Englishman living in Scotland, so.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

My brother has lived in Italy longer than he has in England, he has dual nationality.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

By law I could take out a British passport as I was born before 1948, my older brother did when he lived in London and married a London lass, but I will never take it up, one set of greedy politicians is enough to have on your plate in one lifetime, I'd rather have Al Capone's mob in than the lot you have at present.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
By law I could take out a British passport as I was born before 1948, my older brother did when he lived in London and married a London lass, but I will never take it up, one set of greedy politicians is enough to have on your plate in one lifetime, I'd rather have Al Capone's mob in than the lot you have at present.
And who can blame you ......
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 07:52 PM

I have dual nationality. My grandfather emigrated and became a Canadian citizen. He joined the Canadian Army at the outbreak of WW1.
We emigrated to Canada in the early 80's and we too eventually became Canadian citizens. Now I live back in England, but have connections in Canada and go back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top