Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 08:18 PM

We will remember......

My grandfather. William Caldwell McMinn. Killed in the Battle of the Somme , leaving a wife and three young daughters.

A thread to mention those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

We will remember them. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Re: We will remember......

Charles Burrows, age 18, Ypres.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Walter Fowler aged 27 Ypres from Leeds, Yorkshire.
My great Uncle.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:57 AM

Jim Radford , song Shores of Normandy.

Did you see this fine old gentleman singing his folk song at the Albert Hall. ? 15 years old and the youngest participant in the Naval assault, now 85 and a National Treasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVQMfxIfks
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 08:20 AM

I don't know of any of my family lost in any wars, but today I will remember and be thankful to all those who struggled and fought on our behalf, both past and present. Some paid the ultimate sacrifice, and some are still battling with the effects of their service. To every single one of them. Thank You.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 08:28 AM

"Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn."

RIP
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 11:12 AM

I know nothing of my family's parts in either war, but recently have visited a lot of art gallery's and museums up here that have been focusing on the first world war. Poignant and thought provoking, a mix of pride and sadness, and a terrible waste of human lives.

A poem written by a local man Paul Hunter resonated with me.

Though Paul has no army background, he told of how he passionately believes we should always remember our fallen heroes and commemorate the dead as conflicts continue to rage across the world.

He said: “We have to honour them because conflicts are ongoing. I feel very passionate that we can never forget.”
Paul's poem

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement,

To be worn but once a year,

I am not glorification

Of conflict or of war.

I am not a paper ornament

A token,

I am more.

I am a loving memory,

Of a father or a son,

A permanent reminder

Of each and every one.

Im paper or enamel

I’m old or shining new,

I’m a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Poignant poem. Thanks for sharing Nom.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
I don't know of any of my family lost in any wars, but today I will remember and be thankful to all those who struggled and fought on our behalf, both past and present. Some paid the ultimate sacrifice, and some are still battling with the effects of their service. To every single one of them. Thank You.
So very true.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top