Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Steam Radio.

In the days of yore before TV what were your favourite radio programs ? One of mine was ITMA.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Re: Steam Radio.

I've heard many items from ITMA sounds good to me
Alan Freeman did a good show, now I listen to local radio .....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 10:13 AM

As a kid I built my own crystal radio set and used it to listen to the Goon Show in bed at night.
As a family we used to listen to Dan Dare, Journey Into Space and Riders of the Range, plus of course on Sunday mornings Two-Way Family Favourites followed by The Billy Cotton Band Show, Round The Horn and The Navy Lark.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 02:54 PM

I used to like Archie Andrews, Dan Dare, and Sunday afternoon Movie-go-round, we had to use a lot of imagination in those days, you ‘Listened’ to the trailer of a film, can you believe that!
Take your pick with Michael Myles and Jimmy Edwards had a show featuring a boy and girlfriend couple, the girl had the most irritating voice whining up to her boyfriend “Ohh Ron” can’t remember her name.
I have to say I was disappointed when I saw some of the women I had fallen in love with on the radio turn up on TV, those sexy radio voices didn’t match what I saw on screen, reminds me of the missus making a phone call, she uses her ‘Special’ voice depending on who she’s speaking to.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Jem, the girl who sighed "Oh Ron" was June Whitfield who is still going strong.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Was that who it was Alan?, well blow me down I never knew that, she must have started very young, I think June Whitfield is a terrific actress long may she continue.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 03:29 PM

I never missed an episode of Paul Temple, private detective, and his wife Steve. Loved the theme music too ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfwm5VfrQQ

Then there was Dick Barton Special Agent .... all the children used to clear the streets when that came on the radio. Anyone remember Jock and Snowy?

Dick Barton theme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eqX93umXo

Now a few Fifties Radio Themes to send you back down Memory Lane ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wuMnEuQ5Y

Apologies to the 'youngsters' here who are too young to remember!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
As a kid I built my own crystal radio set and used it to listen to the Goon Show in bed at night.
As a family we used to listen to Dan Dare, Journey Into Space and Riders of the Range, plus of course on Sunday mornings Two-Way Family Favourites followed by The Billy Cotton Band Show, Round The Horn and The Navy Lark.
Radio 4ex often features all of the above, as well as loads of Handcock episodes.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

03-11-2014, 06:08 PM

I have always listened to the Archers from the very first episode when I was a year old and sitting in my pram!

Mostly I watched TV as we had one since 1954 when I was four.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 10:29 PM

'Journey into Space'! with Guy Kinsley Pointer as Doc (funny how a name sticks in your mind). When I got home from school 'Children's Hour' and this program in particular was essential listening.

I also used to like the Paul Temple very much - managed to get a few of the recordings which I keep on my MP3 player for long journeys. Great stuff.

For reasons I cannot fathom I remember listening to that program. 'In Town Tonight'. I seem to remember it was introduced by, "Once again we stop the mighty roar of London traffic to bring you..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top