Join for free
oaktree
New Member!
Bristol UK
oaktree is male 

01-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Saga Duoro Discovery River Cruise

I am considering booking this 7 day river trip but I am put off by Saga telling me that I need to take Dinner suit for one night. Has anyone been on this trip?
I apologise that I previously posted this question as a reply.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Re: Saga Duoro Discovery River Cruise

Yes - but pre-Saggie. When we went years ago, the last night was "posh", as there was traditional Portuguese dancing and entertainment, plus guests dancing. The tour of the port producers was very interesting at the beginning, but we were a bit short of time to explore Oporto. Coach trip to Spain for a day was very good, as I took dozens of photographs.

Don't worry about dressing up, as the rest of the cruise is informal and you soon make friends with a smaller group of travellers.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Oaktree - you sound a bit like my hubby. He hates getting dressed up. We went on a P&O cruise once and dinner suit was required. He grumbled like hell but I managed to borrow one for him and insisted he wear it. It helped that we went with another couple and the other man was wearing one - no moans from him at all.

On the night of the formal dinner I looked around me and out of 1,000 people all the men were wearing dinner suits except two and they stuck out like a sore thumb. If you decide to go I'd strongly advise you to get yourself a dinner suit unless you want to be the odd one out.

I'm sure you'll love the river cruise... Don't let a small thing like this put you off.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 11:42 AM

I hate dressing up and now don't even own a suit. Nothing worse than looking like a penguin without the large feet. My reasoning is your holiday , your money, and you should feel comfortable. Smart dress yes by that i mean no jeans- shorts etc. On the cruises I have been on I avoided those penguins and mutton dressed up like lambs dining rules and did my own thing.

Found this link and yet more fish type things, they looked packed in like Sardines

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...al.html#photos

Grab a glance at the posh chairs on deck (I don't think)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Did the River Nile trip in One November and had a great time with Anatolian Sky company, and would highly recommend and would love to do again

Boat could take 130 passangers and when we went only about 35 on board. Food well what can one say except fantastic.

Abu Simbil

It was hot enough to even go swimming in the onboard pool.
WE went right up to the Aswan Dam from Luxor and stopped off on the way to see "the sites" . Did do a bit more as well as we started in Gisa to see the big heaps of stones (pyramids) and into Cairo to see king tutti frutti (king Tut) display. Also valley of the kings and instead of the valley of the queens (who wants to see tombs of gays) we saw the artist tombs instead.
oaktree
New Member!
Bristol UK
oaktree is male 

01-11-2014, 12:16 PM

I understand your view Carol and if I booked on a 'posh' cruise I would be quite happy to pack my DJ - but for a 7 day river trip on a small vessel it seems over the top. Equally I do not want to be the odd one standing out.
I was hoping someone had been recently.
Friends have recently returned from the same trip with Titan and they told me that nobody was in a DJ.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by oaktree ->
Friends have recently returned from the same trip with Titan and they told me that nobody was in a DJ.
In that case then - listen to your friends. It's probably going to be one of those 50/50 occasions where you'll be ok in either... Saga obviously want you to dress up (I wonder why) & Titan don't bother. Go with what you feel most comfortable with.

If this was our predicament, I know Tony would opt for a lounge suit and I would agree with him..
SamDrake
New Member!
Folkestone
SamDrake is male 

07-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oaktree ->
I am considering booking this 7 day river trip but I am put off by Saga telling me that I need to take Dinner suit for one night. Has anyone been on this trip?
I apologise that I previously posted this question as a reply.

Hi there, my name's Sam from Saga Holidays.

We noted your question and I can confirm that a dinner jacket is not mandatory for our River Cruises; the dress code for the evening meal is similar to dining at a restaurant. Customers tend to wear their smarter outfits for the Welcome get together and farewell diner but dark jacket, or even shirt & tie will be fine.

If you would like any more information I would be more than happy to help and you can contact me free phone 0800 056 2321

Warm regards, Sam

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top