Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Fredtheshed
Derbyshire uk
Fredtheshed is male  Fredtheshed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:28 AM

Mod, Rocker or Teddyboy

I was a Mod had a Lambretta 150 special with all the trimmings,
it had many mirrors, spare wheel with fur on it and a swept exhaust pipe.I wore a parker and had the Mod haircut with fringe.Never short of a girl who all had miniskirts even though i was spotty. The rockers were leather jacket morons who used to spit at me.Teddyboys were still about but were really Dinosaurs at that time.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 02:42 AM

Re: Mod, Rocker or Teddyboy

I loved the Teddy boys. Wasn't keen on the Mods or The Rockers. They all caused too much trouble fighting each other. Especially at Bank holiday times when they all met up at seaside resorts to cause aggravation. The poor folk who lived their must have dreaded holiday times.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 05:51 AM

None of them Fred, I never followed any particular fashion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Bit too young to be nay of them I think if I had been old enough I would have been a hippie, have been accused of being one several times in my life !
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Bit too young to be nay of them I think if I had been old enough I would have been a hippie, have been accused of being one several times in my life !
I see this over and over again on the forum - makes you realise you can't lump older people together - there's quite a gap between over-50s, over-60s etc!

I always felt the Mods were a bit too concerned with how they looked. Then the era of the long hair began - that was fine. But for me the music died in the 70s, apart from a couple of worthy exceptions, and I hated the glam look. I've liked lots of stuff since, but the 60s was the time, remember being so excited by the Mods and Rockers fighting in Brighton! - things were being shaken up.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

27-10-2014, 09:47 AM

I thought people who indulged in that sort of nonsense were very silly indeed, even as a kid!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Loved the MODS !
Sharp dressers, the lads took pride in their appearance, wish they did today
I was a Mod, through and through, so glad I just about saw and experienced those times.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 11:14 AM

I can still remember gangs of Teddy Boys walking down our high street with bike chains in their hands
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 11:17 AM

I think that most young men have a lot of aggression that is either safely channeled into supporting football teams or gets used up by wars or national service. Don't know that there's much we can do about it. Don't remember massive casualties with the Teds, Mods or Rockers for all the posturing though?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by comeandgo ->
I thought people who indulged in that sort of nonsense were very silly indeed, even as a kid!
You were in the majority. It's funny how, in retrospect, cultural historians would have us believe that all young people in the '60s were mods or rockers, when in reality, only a tiny minority were either. Exactly the same a little bit later with the hippies - an even tinier minority of young people were hippies.
I was a mod in the early '60s and I was the only youngster on my housing estate who was. There were a small handful of rockers as well but the majority of kids didn't subscribe to either subculture.
I was a bit of a cheat because although I love mod clothes and music, I hated scooters with a passion and drove around Slough (my home town) in my mod parka on a 650 cc BSA GoldFlash, so the local rockers tended to leave me alone "At least he rides a bike" was their usual comment.
In actual fact we didn't fight much with the rockers at all. Our major battles (mostly handbags at dawn) were with our rivals - the Uxbridge mods - Usually outside Burtons in Uxbridge (the Uxbridge mods never dared come anywhere near Slough).

The mod phase didn't last long as the hippy "revolution" was just round the corner and my mates and I all grew our hair long and championed peace and love man!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top