Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Looking back

lousy childhood,evil git, no place to study failed A levels,rotten retakes. But I knew I would be good at Psychology. Get into University through clearing as a

Chemist(a pass at first year-and that is as low as it get) change courses and end up with a PhD-life is strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VGkmPF1CNo
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Re: Looking back

I left school at 15 without taking any exams but went on to have a successful career culminating in owning my own business. Strange sometimes where the hand of chance takes you in life.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:28 PM

The hand of chance takes us. But as I get older and grumpier I have no time for yoofs who claim the dole,then moan that immigrants are taking their jobs. Yes working on the fields is not easy-it`s hard work. Been there to get a few shillings.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:29 PM

If you have the desire you can achieve
I kept a rein on things hoping for a better family life - stupid when I look back but that's the decision I made ........
I admire people that go out there and have that sense of adventure .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
If you have the desire you can achieve
I kept a rein on things hoping for a better family life - stupid when I look back but that's the decision I made ........
I admire people that go out there and have that sense of adventure .....
I agree I wanted family life to be best it could be and that meant working PT and nights so I was here during the day. Less money, no career but a happy family. Only now I wonder if I was right - no pension etc.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

20-10-2014, 01:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZRxpB7ydg
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree I wanted family life to be best it could be and that meant working PT and nights so I was here during the day. Less money, no career but a happy family. Only now I wonder if I was right - no pension etc.
Yes hindsight - no good looking back though is it - you should be proud of your achievements x
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 02:28 PM

I left school at 15 with typing qualifications behind me. I did not enjoy school as such because you cannot see the point of qualifications at that age. Also my dad was 48 when I was born and was old school and assumed being a girl I would get married.

The first thing I did was enrol at night school to train in the things that I wanted.

I have always worked, in management jobs as well as lowly positions, to pay the bills. I don't class anything as menial.

Non of our children survived so I did not have to make the decision of whether to stay at home or not.

I have accepted life for what it is, with all the heartache as well as all the good times. Life has not been dull. Long may it continue
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Good post Shirley
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 03:38 PM

I worked at all sorts of jobs while I was at school and uni. First job was a paper round, then I worked for the council over the summer lifting bins and cutting grass in rural graveyards etc.. At Christmas, I worked as a postie.

These were a great education because I soon discovered that people need somebody to look down on. The bin man and the postie were prime targets. The better off people were fine because they appreciated that 1. we provided a service and 2. they wouldn't want to do it.

Anyway, I had a good career in IT and worked & lived round the UK, Europe and occasionally, the USA. When my children were at university age, I was able to finance them so that they wouldn't have to start off working life with debt hanging over them.

All in all, it's been a good life, but given the chance, I'd choose my parents a bit more carefully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top