Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Eire

Have just had the most wonderful week ever!

Based in Dublin but also went out to Clontarf and up to Dundalk. Two things really impressed me - the cleanliness of the streets and the efficiency of the public transport systems.

Some of the clothing is more expensive than here - but the quality of Irish made products is better as well, so it balances out. Food everywhere is plentiful and delicious.

I explored everywhere - to the extent that I came back with blood blisters on the balls of both feet - but it was worth it.

I enjoyed every last minute and cannot wait to go back!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Re: Eire

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have just had the most wonderful week ever!

Based in Dublin but also went out to Clontarf and up to Dundalk. Two things really impressed me - the cleanliness of the streets and the efficiency of the public transport systems.

Some of the clothing is more expensive than here - but the quality of Irish made products is better as well, so it balances out. Food everywhere is plentiful and delicious.

I explored everywhere - to the extent that I came back with blood blisters on the balls of both feet - but it was worth it.

I enjoyed every last minute and cannot wait to go back!!
You fill me heart with joy gal - I was there with you in spirit, fabulous place, wonderful people, great atmosphere - a little bit o Heaven for sure
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:55 AM

How lovely ST .... so pleased you had a wonderful time
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Thats on my list of places to go ,glad you was able to write good things about it .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Sounds great.

I had a lovely weekend in Dublin once. I'd love to go back & see more. Ireland is beautiful.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 10:31 AM

When I was in Clontarf I stopped a young woman in the street to ask a question - she didn't know the answer - but took me into her home, made me a cup of tea and gave me homemade soda bread and jam while she telephoned her Dad. Can you imagine that happening here ?

I have always been proud of being Irish (was born in Clontarf) but incidents like that just make me even prouder and happy that the tradition of warmth and friendliness continues in this 21st century.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 12:34 PM

When in Dublin, we stayed at a B & B for 2 nights, my birthday came and at the breakfast table was a card and pressie from the couple - when we moved on, the hospitality continued - will never forget
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:34 PM

We toured Ireland in the 90's and loved it, but we have relatives in the North so we visit there much more frequently.... just the same though, a beautiful country and great people..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 01:48 PM

I come from a culture that regarded the Irish republic with, at best, suspicion and distrust. I was only there once (to Limerick) on business and I spent enough time in the north to grow to loathe it.
That was a long time ago and maybe it's changed a lot, but I think I'll give it a miss.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I come from a culture that regarded the Irish republic with, at best, suspicion and distrust. I was only there once (to Limerick) on business and I spent enough time in the north to grow to loathe it.
That was a long time ago and maybe it's changed a lot, but I think I'll give it a miss.
Well that was worth posting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top