Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 10:41 AM

Has the Ebola info changed how your react?

I say this because I had occasion yesterday to think what to do.
I was stood at a bus stop waiting for my bus to Derby. This bus stop
is outside a big hospital. Whilst waiting for the delayed bus I realised
someone was coming towards me from my left side. I looked and
was surprised to see a young girl about 19 looking as though she
was going to faint and leaning on the bus stop itself. I said are you
alright and she didn't speak. She then started to wobble and was going
to go backwards so I grabbed her arm and shouted for someone to
help me. A young lad came quickly behind her and I said don't let her
fall backwards. Just then the bus driver of a bus I think she had just
got off of came and asked if she needed a ambulance. I said yes but
the lad said he would take her to the hospital A and E. I held on to her
arm whilst he got his bag. She was absolutely boiling with a temperature
and her eyes were closing and as mentioned she couldn't speak.
I then got on my bus and looked for some hand sanitiser I normally have
in my bag but I had none left. So as soon as I got to Derby I went to Boots
to grab some and put it on my hands before I actually bought it. I don't
know if that's something I would have done straight away without hearing
about the Ebola crisis.
My question was would you have helped and would you have thought I
must cleanse myself had you done that.
I think I have mentioned before that if someone is going to collapse or
be ill they always seem to land near me. Have I got a flashing blue light
on my head or what laugh!!!!!!

p.s. There were about 15 people at the bus stop and the only ones to
help her were me and this lad???
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Re: Has the Ebola info changed how your react?

Yes I'd have helped her - I carry the sanitiser in my bag and would have used it.
I also use it after using a shopping trolley, they feel so yucky .....
I've not changed though, just carry on as usual - I'd have a fit if someone sneezed right near me though
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
There were about 15 people at the bus stop and the only ones to
help her were me and this lad???
To be honest, In my experience this is quite normal. Many people just don't want to get involved - full stop - ebola or not!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Yes I would have helped......no question. I might not have thought of the Ebola though and I never use hand sanitizer.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 11:27 AM

I don't know whether I would have though about Ebola to be honest, I would have assumed it was something much more common.
She may have had flu or a infection of some sort, all kinds of reasons. I think a lot of people think that drugs or alcohol might be involved when young people are ill or passing out but of course that is not always the case.
Hopefully she was seen by a doctor.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Funny you should mention this. Ive just come from an hospital appointment and i was on second floor and coming out i was looking for the sanitiser which I've seen on other wards I've been on ,there was none that i could see visible.First thing i did when i got home was wash my hands in antibacterial soap...
It was on my mind before i went i was entering an area of possible contamination .Surgeries and Hospital are not good places to be in at any time but we are now seeing the risk of getting Ebola which not many survive from.
I think though in the case of someone collapsing in front of you ,you react instantly and think later .
I will get a fresh hand sanitiser to carry around with me,i think it can be a good idea for everyone to think cautiously.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 12:08 PM

I hope I would have helped, can't say I even think what might be wrong I just step in. Sanitiser is not on my list if I need to wash my hands I find somewhere to do that.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Funny you should mention this. Ive just come from an hospital appointment and i was on second floor and coming out i was looking for the sanitiser which I've seen on other wards I've been on ,there was none that i could see visible.First thing i did when i got home was wash my hands in antibacterial soap...
It was on my mind before i went i was entering an area of possible contamination .Surgeries and Hospital are not good places to be in at any time but we are now seeing the risk of getting Ebola which not many survive from.
I think though in the case of someone collapsing in front of you ,you react instantly and think later .
I will get a fresh hand sanitiser to carry around with me,i think it can be a good idea for everyone to think cautiously.
Eliza, you would have been in your rights to mention it to the first hospital staff member you came across. Infection Control take it extremely seriously. It surprises me that there was no sanitiser there, so they must fix that asap.

There's nothing better than a thorough wash of hands though.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:41 PM

I keep sanitising wipes and small pack of surgical gloves in my bag. Over the top, maybe, but since on a long haul flight when a man was having epileptic fits one after the other and none of the flight crew had a clue how to deal with him, they didnīt have gloves on the plane, which amazed me, but they said they were not trained to deal with this kind of thing. Fortunately I was but how I wished I had had gloves since the poor man had bitten his tongue and was bleeding. A small packed pair of gloves takes up no room at all and you never know when they can be really handy.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Good idea clumsy and what a good thing you knew what to do on that flight, well done to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top